+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone work in aged care?

I am looking to change career paths in the future and wondering about doing cert 3 in aged care and where that may lead.
    I love old people and helping people so I think this will be something I would enjoy.

Can anyone who works in aged care tell me what you do.. what yoi studied and where how long to get there and do you love your job?
    Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I have worked in aged care for the last 5 years. Its not an easy job and you have to enjoy what you do otherwise its pure torture.

Be ready to deal with lots of wrinkled skin, feaces, urine, pads and lots of behaviours.
    Dont get me wrong, its a great job and can be very rewarding but we get paid less than most checkout chicks and do a lot more dirty and heavy lifting.

In terms of study, I did mine via distance over 6 month and organised my own placement of 180 hours (maybe more?) after which the residence in wich I was doing my placement hired me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A morning shift would involve getting residents up, shower, dressed and down to breakfast. Make beds empty bins. Some places you help with morning tea others you dont. If you work in high care or even dementia care you may have to feed reaidents. High care uses a lot more machines to assist residents.

Afternoon shift would invole helping with afternoon tea, toileting residents, assisting residents with dinner, a few showers, washing residents getting them ready for bed amd assisting them to bed.
    Night shift vary greatly from place to place but most would include refilling pad bags, rolling and chanching residents. HTH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't work in aged care but I just wanted to say bless you and thank you to anyone reading this who does work in aged care.

A lot of elderly people in my life have needed care these past 5 years and I see how hard you work and how important you are. I wish you could get paid more, you're doing such an important job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I work in as aged care as an RN. I deal with a huge array of chronic and acute illnesses, and of course lots of wounds. There is also a huge social side. I absolutely LOVE LOVE the oldies and their families. I get a lot of gratification out of my job.

I spent 3 years at Uni and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. There is always work in aged care which is very comforting. The aged care sector is an area of huge growth in the health industry.

Have you thought about doing your RNs? The pay is a lot more than cert 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bubhubber28 View Post
    Hi, I have worked in aged care for the last 5 years. Its not an easy job and you have to enjoy what you do otherwise its pure torture.

Be ready to deal with lots of wrinkled skin, feaces, urine, pads and lots of behaviours.
    Dont get me wrong, its a great job and can be very rewarding but we get paid less than most checkout chicks and do a lot more dirty and heavy lifting.

In terms of study, I did mine via distance over 6 month and organised my own placement of 180 hours (maybe more?) after which the residence in wich I was doing my placement hired me.
    I absolutely 100% agree with this. I have seen way to many people come through doing their cert 3 'just because' which is really sad because their hearts aren't in it. It is very challenging, both mentally and physically. My niece works at mcdonalds and earns $23 an hour, more than some with a cert 3. Very very unfair IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bubhubber28 View Post
    Hi, I have worked in aged care for the last 5 years. Its not an easy job and you have to enjoy what you do otherwise its pure torture. .
    I absolutely agree with this. I don't work in age care but my mum is in a nursing home and it's easy to tell the people who love what they do and are delightful.

For the others who find the job hard and don't like it aren't doing themselves or anyone else any favours.

Also an eye opener for me was that I had the romantic version of the elderly, in that I thought were all kind caring and lovely people, who enjoy others and are forgiving and tolerant. In my experience people are people not matter their age. There are some "really" cranky elderly in mums home and they are too old to give a sh!t if they p!ss people off.

Also, dementia patients are especially hard to deal with. There is one woman who just screams and screams in the most harrowing voice "help me" when there is nothing wrong. I heaps seen heaps of other things that were eye openers too, not too many positives.

I would suggest maybe you have some work experience in a nursing home before you commit if you aren't sure. Especially given the wage is low and it might not be all what you imagined.

And if you still think that's what you'd like to do then bless you, you are a very special person indeed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work in aged care as an AIN. There was another thread like this where I typed out my day, I'll try and find it if you like.
    Other than that, as PP said, it's really low pay and it's really, REALLY hard work. There is no way I could do this job long term, even though I love it. It's just too hard on your body.

I definitely don't want to discourage you because it is a rewarding role and we always need more carers, but just want you to be aware of the physical side of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. I cant believe a macdonalds worker would get paid more thats ridiculous!!! Aged care workers I would have thought would get paid well for doing what they do.

Im now wondering if I can do some sort of work experience in a nursing home before committing to the study just incase it isnt for me.
    To be honest the low pay is a turn off.. which is really sad.

I would do rn but I wanted to study online or pt as I have to do this while I also work and care for my 2yo so I couldnt handle uni..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm doing my RN's correspondence and part time. It has been hard but it is an option. Just pick a good uni. I have one I wouldn't recommend!