+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 'Slanted eyes' at 6m check- referred to pead

I have just been to my dd's 6m check and vaccinations and have been referred to a paediatrician for a second opinion about her eyes. My gp can see she has 'almond shaped eyes' and thinks it may be connected to a disorder or genetic disease?! She has my eyes and they are very squinty like mine and I have never (or any of my fam) thought anything of it. She is developmentally absolutely fine. Social, laughing saying mum mum mum dad dad dad, crawling. Interested in everything.

I'm so worried and I feel sick as I thought she was totally healthy happy bub! She told me, a young mum, not to worry too much it's probably nothing. Felt like slapping her. Oh sure I will go to my night shift in a completely calm head space.. Yeh right. I'm freaking out. Anyone have any advice or experience? Tia

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think you should get a second opinion. Would you consider seeing a different GP?

I'm certainly no expert but I cannot see anything but a gorgeous, healthy and very typical looking baby girl

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (23-07-2014),giggle berry  (23-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Your daughter is gorgeous!

I don't have any experience or advice with this specifically, but I have been referred to get things with my kids checked out (e.g. hips) that have been shown to be nothing. I know it's hard not to worry and it sounds flippant to say don't stress, but really there is nothing you can do between now and your appointment so try to keep busy and reduce your stress about it as much as possible. It must have been a huge shock if you weren't concerned about it at all. Hopefully you don't have to wait too long for an appt. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Adorable! My bub has similar eyes and its never been pointed out as an issue...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Honestly I would get a second opinion. Almond shaped eyes are a marker for many genetic conditions. .. However they are usually associated with other symptoms as well. And since your Bub is perfect in every other way then it seems to a bit odd to alarm you to this.
    Also your own family features play a role.
    And like PP I cannot see. .. (Plus I'm no Dr! ) any dysmorphic features on your daughter. My DD does have a genetic syndrome.. She's has wide spaced eyes, ptosis (droopy eye lids), flattened nasal bridge. .. Plus other markers. In addition to heart defects and developmental delays. None of which your gorgeous little girl has.
    I was also told my several geneticists that we all have some 'dysmorphic' features. ...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm really not sure but I just wanted to say she's gorgeous!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Agree with PPs that looks like a healthy happy girl. But I guess there's no harm in seeing the Paed who will likely just reassure you so you can move on from this unnecessary worry?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Looks like a happy, healthy, beautiful baby girl to me! But I'd take her to the paed anyway because I don't see any harm in it.

Good luck! ..And again, what a beautiful bubba.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She looks perfect to me! I would get a second opinion