+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Abscess

Hi anyone reason this.

I apologise in advance for TMI but am so sore right now I just need to ask.

I have an abscess on the top of my thigh in my pubic area. It is a result of an ingrown hair that has become infected.

I'm 38 weeks pregnant so it's just a barrel of fun at the moment!

I originally thought it would turn into a pimple and would just go away but after a few days it just got bigger and sore. I saw a doc yesterday and she said its turned into an abscess and given me antibiotics and cream. I am taking 4 tablets a day and she said in 48 hours it should start to feel better. She doesn't want to drain it as I am close to having the baby and she said the wound would hurt during labour.

It feels like it has gotten sorer over night but I am not sure if this is normal. Like it gets worse before it gets better. It stings and I can hardly walk because of where it is and it rubbing on my other leg. I got about 3 hours sleep last night so feeling emotional today.

Just wondering if anyone else has had one of these and if it does get better after the 48hours? Or if there is anything else I can try at home at the same time to relieve some of the pain.

Thanks and sorry this is so log!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh you poor thing... Sounds not what you need right now... Hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ouch! No experience but maybe a hot or cold compress (not sure which) might help draw out the infection or give a bit of relief? It might get worse before it gets better as the doc didn't drain it so perhaps the pressure is also causing lots of pain. Maybe also try some panadol if its getting too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies trying to rest on the couch and walk as little as possible.

Is it ok to take panadol and antibiotics at the same time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was on antibiotics for a chest infection a couple of weeks ago (amoxicillan) and doc told me to keep taking panadol at the same time. Should be ok but you can always check with the chemist in case you are worried

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great will go and take some now! Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe get some magnoplasm from the chemist - it might help draw the infection out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hot compress and sudocrem covered with a bandaid usually works for me. The next morning it's usually rough it all to the surface and is ready to pop.

I hope you feel better soon - I know how painful these can be!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the magnoplasm, I have had these before and this helped, aswell as a warm compress.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    egg skin poultice. boil a few eggs, then lay the skin that you can peel off the boiled egg after shelling it directly onto the abcess, and dress overnight, is supposed to draw it out.
    Worked when I did it on my partner many years ago.

Hope it improves for you soon!!