+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to get rid of night time bottle

Dd is 22 months and I'm wanting to get rid of the bottle she has to go to sleep before bed.
    How did you do this?
    How should I?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Firstly I changed from a normal bottle to a sports sipper bottle- has a straw not a teat ( apparently better for their teeth) and then I just started filling it up less - he used to have 200ml at night so I'd put in 100ml and then gradually got down to 20ml and also at the same time watered down the formula so literally after about a month or two he was just having a sip of water - I found it was really just habit not hunger so it was more of the routine than the amount and what was in it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could you consider switching up your routine a little bit? So if you usually do a bottle in bed after stories (for example), you could do stories out on the couch for a little bit then to bed? I also like the idea of reducing the amount/swapping the type of bottles.

I am dreading trying to wean my DS in a few months (he is a similar age to your LO). Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We swapped to a sipper cup then just started offering him less and less until he wasn't interested anymore. Took about a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did a little ritual with DS ... i explained to him that he doesn't need bottles anymore and i showed him a brand new col cup i bought him that he was very thrilled with. And i said to him "let's throw away your bottles now, as you now have a fancy new cup!" and DS happily followed me into the kitchen, and he tossed his bottles into the rubbish bin.

That night i gave him milk in his new cup, he drank it... then when it was time for lights out he started crying for his bottle so i reminded him that we threw them away because he has his cup now... and to my surprise that was the end of it! He never asked for his bottle again ...and not long later he didn't even want milk at bed time.

My way probably sounds crazy.... but it seemed to work with involving him in the decision.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Serenity Love For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (23-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought I would update for others! Last Friday or Saturday (I can't remember) I gave dd a cup of milk with her dinner. Then she had her bath
    And quiet play and book as normal I asked if she wanted milk and she said no and if she wanted cuddles and she said yes so she came and had a cuddle and went to sleep as normal and has done everyday since and hasn't asked for a bottle!! 😱

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mummy12 For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (06-08-2014),Purple Lily  (06-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow that sounds like it went smoothly!!

We are just transitioning our 23 month old boy...he was drinking 200ml of cows milk in a bottle until he got gastro last week and we realised that the quick chugging of milk was causing him to vomit shortly after. So we have switched him to a straw in a normal cup and decreased the amount...which went well for the first few days (probably when he was too unwell to care), but last night he burst into tears when he saw me with a cup and said "other milk please mummy?", looking for his bottle. We are planning to just keep going with the straw in a cup...And I've hidden all of his bottles.

I'm glad to have come across this thread and read others' experiences!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4th Ds is about the same age so we are about to go down the same track again. Ds#2 was also rather attached to his bottles so we made a show of putting all the bottles in a plastic bag and taking it out to the bin (we fetched them out after he went to sleep). We also replaced the bottle with a new night time routine. It take a bit of adjustment but was not at all traumatic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    After going so well for over a week dd is not fighting going to bed sheis tired and them after her bath has a second wind and is up playing with her toys etc. Tried giving her milk in straw cup tonight and made no diff. Don't know what to try now