+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I also wanted to ask what others took as first impressions when choosing a Centre? The kinder my son has an offer in don't seem to return calls in a timely manner. I called yesterday. No call back. I got a call back @ 9am which woke me up lol then I called back @ 12:15. Was told staff member was at lunch. Come 4pm no call back. So I call back to be told that she had gone home for the day! I got the info from the lady that answered and then ended the phone call by saying thanks. ...Please tell other staff member not to call me back cause I got my answers. The lady on the phone just laughed and didn't apologize.

Should I just let that go and assume tty his lady was just mega busy?

the 3 places I could possibly choose from are all less than 5 mins from me. One even walking distance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe she was just busy.

I would look at these things: - talk to the actual kinder teacher. What type of program / actives does she run throughout the day. (She/he might be able to show you a plan for the day)

- how is the room set up? The less toys, the better. Children this age usually have work stations, areas to learn (play based): maths, literacy, craft, puzzles. - blocks- book/ reading area

- do they have projects/ topics they work on (Ds learns about something new every couple of weeks, dinosaurs, volcanoes...etc)

- how many carers in the room. Usually it's 2 to 30. Some have the extra 3rd person floating around.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 25-07-2014 at 08:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    But she did call you back. You missed the call.

I've played telephone tag for weeks with some centres. They are extremely busy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    But she did call you back. You missed the call.

I've played telephone tag for weeks with some centres. They are extremely busy.
    I read it that OP called back at 12.15 (member was at lunch) and then OP spoke to someone else at 4pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    I also wanted to ask what others took as first impressions when choosing a Centre? The kinder my son has an offer in don't seem to return calls in a timely manner. I called yesterday. No call back. I got a call back @ 9am which woke me up lol then I called back @ 12:15. Was told staff member was at lunch. Come 4pm no call back. So I call back to be told that she had gone home for the day! I got the info from the lady that answered and then ended the phone call by saying thanks. ...Please tell other staff member not to call me back cause I got my answers. The lady on the phone just laughed and didn't apologize.

Should I just let that go and assume tty his lady was just mega busy?

the 3 places I could possibly choose from are all less than 5 mins from me. One even walking distance!
    Kinders don't have secretary's etc. the teachers take the calls when they can and return them when they don't have kids. It can take a few days to get back to someone. It's no reflection on the kinder. In fact, if you think about it I'd rather the teachers with the kids rather than returning calls but that's me!

Also you might find some kinders have not decided how they are going to run the groups for next year yet. There is normally a system for how the kids get placed. You may not get the choice you want.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    I read it that OP called back at 12.15 (member was at lunch) and then OP spoke to someone else at 4pm.
    OP was called back at 9am but was asleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Truffle View Post
    Kinders don't have secretary's etc.
    I think the OP is also calling daycare centers that run a kinder program.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 25-07-2014 at 09:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Truffle View Post
    OP was called back at 9am but was asleep.
    Ah ok, I was thinking more after she called back at 12.15 and 4pm
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 25-07-2014 at 09:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for all your responses. I spoke to the kinder enrolment office and explained my situation and was able to change my preference to another kinder that offers 2 full days or 3x5hr days. But there's one thing I didn't even think about doing. Is checking them out before putting my preferences in! It all sounds good on their website. ..As it would but now I'm a but stressed I'm going to accept a place without knowing what it's like. How can I judge if the teachers are actually any good by just one visit?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The reality is that you can't. Ask around and see if you can find anyone who has been there. If you visit you should get a feel for how happy the kids are or how involved the teachers are with the kids.

At this stage it does look like 15 hours of kindy is going ahead but the Abbott government is no longer funding the full 15. We are yet to hear but the hours may be cut back to 10.

At the end of the day kindy is not compulsory so if you are unhappy there just take your child out. I understand it's a hard decision and we stress about these things but it is only kindy! It's all play based, your child will be ok :-)