+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Night shift-share survival tips

Hi everyone
    I have been doing night shofts for 5 yrs or so now so you think I would have figured it all out by now.. but wondering what everyone elses tips are for survoving2 AFTER the night shift..

So I do long shifts until 6am and when I wake up after the sleep I feel hung over. Does anyone else?

I have found eating a big a meal as I can stomach at about 4am helps this after math feeling and last night tried a barocca at 3am and woke up now not as bad too.

So does anyone have any other tips to waking up fresh and not so groggy?? If u know the feeling im talking about fellow shift workers hopefully its not just me! And no I dont actually drink haha

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    I did about 10yrs of night shifts (4 a month) and it never got easier. I would be miserable the first day knowing I had to do it and then tired and grumpy for days after.
    The only thing I found helped the groggyness was to have a shower as soon as I woke up else I would lay around on the lounge feeling horrible until I had to go back to work.
    Going to the gym helped a little too. Wakes the body up abd gets the blood pumping. I know it's probably the last thing you want to do but it does feel good.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    When i do a night shift, i pretend its a day and its night when i get home. I do the school stuff for kiddo. Then i will shower, put some comfy pjs on. Find something to eat and try and sleep about 1.5 to 2hrs after i get home. Sometimes i put on some meditation or hynosis from you tube on my phone and fall asleep listening to that. Let kiddo know before he goes to school i will be sleeping so i dont get distrubed and wake up about 3:30/4pm feeling ok if i have nothing else planned. Some days i only get about 3hrs sleep which makes me feel sick.

I do mainly mornings unless they call me in for a night shift. Some weeks i dont do any and other weeks i will do 2 or 3.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I make sure I drink plenty of water throughout the night. If I'm doing a 12hr night shift I'll take my dinner with me and eat it around midnight-1am (sometimes later if it's a feral night). If I'm on an 8hr shift, then I'll eat my dinner at home normal time then take snacks (fruit, yoghurt, muesli bar etc), or make toast at work around 2-3am. I make sure I eat when I get home. I'll often just have cereal before going to bed but I sleep better if I have something filling like eggs on toast. I make sure I pee at least twice before going to sleep (otherwise I'll wake up an hour it 2 later) and I'll take some Phenergan (10-20mg) if I have to go back that night, I'll wear an eye mask to make things dark and then snuggle into bed. If I'm going back to work I'll aim for 6-8hrs sleep, but if I'm going into days off I'll set my alarm for lunchtime, get up have a shower and have lunch. I'm then good to go to bed at a normal time that night.

I also make sure my sleeping conditions are good. In summer I'll make the bedroom nice and cold and snuggle under the Doona, in winter I'll turn the heater on in the bedroom when I get home to warm the bedroom up then turn it off when I go to sleep. Being too hot doesn't make slew easy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do 2x 12hr days then 2x12hr nights then get 5 days off, I've been doing it about ten years.

I start night shift at 6.30, eat dinner at 7 (yes a break right after I start ). Morning tea (fruit, yoghurt etc) at 10pm. "Lunch" at about 1am which is usually toast. I restrict fluids after 1 or I have up pee heaps when I'm trying to sleep.

Write more soon gotta go!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My hubby does 4 day shifts than 3-4 night shifts each swing away- 12hrs per shift 5:30-5:30. On nights he eats cereal at 7 or 8 pm than has lunch around midnight or 1 am depending on whats going on than he has dinner when he gets back to his room. He than sleeps~7am-4pm. He always comes home off night shift, gets home around 10:30am and sleeps 11am-4:30pm has dinner and goes back to bed ~9pm. He is usually fine the next day. He does feel wiped out if he does a really long night shift swing though.

He has done night shifts on and off for the past 10+ years (firefighter than fifo).

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry, going into night shift he stays up the night before until around 3am than goes to bed til 3/4pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great tips so far
    I have done the phenergan thing every now and again which has let me sleep longer but I do find between the 2 night shifts I cant sleep long either.. jealous of all you peoole who sleep all day. I gey home 630 straight to bed then up at 11 to pee then I eat lunch go back to bed around 1 and I drift in and out of sleep until about 4.. so no quality of sleep even though I'm exhausted!

I do drink heaps of water but dont restrict it after midnight.. I just worry that won't help with the brain fog morning after.

time to get ready for round two tonight!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kim85 View Post
    Great tips so far
    I have done the phenergan thing every now and again which has let me sleep longer but I do find between the 2 night shifts I cant sleep long either.. jealous of all you peoole who sleep all day. I gey home 630 straight to bed then up at 11 to pee then I eat lunch go back to bed around 1 and I drift in and out of sleep until about 4.. so no quality of sleep even though I'm exhausted!

I do drink heaps of water but dont restrict it after midnight.. I just worry that won't help with the brain fog morning after.

time to get ready for round two tonight!
    I sleep the same. Get home, do some cuddles with DDs, then into bed. Up around lunch time, eat and play, back to bed for some average sleep.

After my last nightshift I make myself wake up around 1. It HURTS, but I drag my butt out of bed. I try and stay busy because when I stop I kinda die. Lots of outside fresh air and sunshine is good for reminding your body what it's meant to be doing. Then an early night around 8.30 if I've got the kids to sleep by then.