+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    VP the numbers are what they are, I'm sorry you find it hard to believe.
    Read the 900 pages and you will find the same information

Apparently people change their behavior so that they don't reach the cap, ie, put their child in care for less days.

Most of these 5% families come from inner Sydney and/or have their child in care for 4-5 days a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Very good point @munchkin275

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

munchkin275  (23-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (23-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've scrolled through quickly but haven't been able to find the answer yet- does anyone know what the recommended "deemed cost" is? Will it vary by area and state, or are they simplistic enough to try and apply a single cost across the whole country? We pay a good deal more for childcare because we live in an expensive city, compared to many cheaper parts of the country (and even other parts of the same city).

FWIW - I'm also one of the 5%.

Edit: just saw a previous post that suggested it was $75. WTF?!? We pay $135 a day, which is pretty standard in this area!
    Last edited by Gentoo; 23-07-2014 at 14:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    By my calculations I would be $500 a year worse off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    I've scrolled through quickly but haven't been able to find the answer yet- does anyone know what the recommended "deemed cost" is? Will it vary by area and state, or are they simplistic enough to try and apply a single cost across the whole country? We pay a good deal more for childcare because we live in an expensive city, compared to many cheaper parts of the country (and even other parts of the same city).

Edit: just saw a previous post that suggested it was $75. WTF?!? We pay $135 a day, which is pretty standard in this area!
    that's spot on @Gentoo. Big problem!

Please make sure to comment on the draft report so that they can amend their recommendations...

They don't seem to care much about the families in the 5% as we chose to have children (that's basically what they say).

I'm so over this statement. Of course we choose to have children but it's a biological fact. We need children to renew the population.

It's quite different to choosing to have a pet!

The current situation is driving women out of the work force and this report will do nothing to change this
    Being out of the work force for so long especially in the golden years (30-40yo) is dramatic for women financial security and future retirement.

It infuriates me that no one seems to care. Obviously I don't think many of our policies maker have had to stop their career because childcare was not available, not good quality or not financially viable.

Oh and labor is now in favor of means testing the childcare subsidies when they were dead against in a few years ago.
    This is a bloody comedy but not a funny one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Chapter 9 (from page 383) is a really good read on affordability.

They talk a lot about the CCR cap and how families change their behavior in order to not reach it.

Highly recommend the read.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Didn't you say in another thread about super, staying in touch with your career? Share the load and all that?
    I didn't ignore this post, I missed it as I was posting at the same time.

So while staying home full time is not something *I* would do for the above mentioned reasons, I see time and time again on BH threads that most would.
    And that's their choices. But I believe they are setting themselves up for financial dependency and I wish the government would help the situation instead of making it worse!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Didn't you say in another thread about super, staying in touch with your career? Share the load and all that?
    Yes but this is not most people's (on BH) view, so most people would just choose not to work at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

At the moment people only receive CCB on a 'deemed' hourly rate of $4.10 an hour, so as most services charge for an 11 hr day, if you had 100% CCB you would only get $41 off the price per day, then the 50% CCR off the rest. So at a service charging $135 a day it would be $135 -$41, leaves $94 dollars, minus 50% CCR would be $47 a day. 'If' the govt were to pay a deemed amount of $75 and a parent on 100% chose a service charging $135 a day they would be paying $60 a day. I think the concept of combining the CCR & CCB is a good idea I think for it to work their 'deemed cost' would need to be higher than $75 a day, and/or they need to provide regional loadings which recognise costs are higher in some areas.

Out of interest what do parents get for $135 a day, I know the media have been talking up the idea that higher prices pay for gourmet meals, french classes, etc but is that a reality? Whilst I don't think rebates should be subsidising a 'premium service' who decides what those are worth and what is 'premium'!!