+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree @Renn. The report is very simplistic.

TBH they had me on their wrong side when they wrote this
    "Further, while some of the benefits of broader ECEC participation will be felt by the community, many of the benefits accrue primarily to the child attending ECEC and to their family. This means that families should not expect governments to fully fund their use of ECEC. For families with children, there will always be some trade-offs in work and lifestyle, and the responsibility for raising children and funding their care and early childhood education should lie predominantly with the family."

To me, education is as important and should be as supported as health.
    Most Australian people would use these services, so of course it benefit the whole community.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellewood View Post
    Pi think that's very true, but I find it so sad! I find it sad that kids are so busy these days from the time they're babies.... Why? Why is the first year of school demanding on little ones? I don't think it should be, at all.

sorry off topic a bit but I do find it sad that society these days mostly can't afford for at least one parent to stay home a lot more than we do. A big part of that is the lack of flexibility in workplaces I know, for both mums and dads. They're only so little once - they have the rest of their lives to be busy and having a life away from us (parents).
    Yep 100% agree with you. And many primary teachers agree with you. The problem is that the govt sets bench marks on what they should know, they demand the standardised testing (which I really really hate). Teachers are given a curriculum they must fulfill for that year level. Things are gradually changing in teaching in Aust, but we have followed the Americans. High demands early on, but sh*t funding, so kids feel like they are failing, teachers are tearing their hair out trying to make a difference within the parameters they are set.... and we are getting left behind.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (22-07-2014),Ellewood  (22-07-2014),Renn  (22-07-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellewood View Post
    sorry off topic a bit but I do find it sad that society these days mostly can't afford for at least one parent to stay home a lot more than we do. A big part of that is the lack of flexibility in workplaces I know, for both mums and dads. They're only so little once - they have the rest of their lives to be busy and having a life away from us (parents).
    I work FT and I still get to see my baby 1 hr each morning and 3hrs at night you know

I think both can be achieved (seeing my baby grow up while maintaining a career).

It's not something society decided for me

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

JR03  (22-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yep 100% agree with you. And many primary teachers agree with you. The problem is that the govt sets bench marks on what they should know, they demand the standardised testing (which I really really hate). Teachers are given a curriculum they must fulfill for that year level. Things are gradually changing in teaching in Aust, but we have followed the Americans. High demands early on, but sh*t funding, so kids feel like they are failing, teachers are tearing their hair out trying to make a difference within the parameters they are set.... and we are getting left behind.

Its ridiculous - I feel so much for teachers!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (22-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I agree @Renn. The report is very simplistic.

TBH they had me on their wrong side when they wrote this
    "Further, while some of the benefits of broader ECEC participation will be felt by the community, many of the benefits accrue primarily to the child attending ECEC and to their family. This means that families should not expect governments to fully fund their use of ECEC. For families with children, there will always be some trade-offs in work and lifestyle, and the responsibility for raising children and funding their care and early childhood education should lie predominantly with the family."

To me, education is as important and should be as supported as health.
    Most Australian people would use these services, so of course it benefit the whole community.
    This is what is so idiotic about this govt, they seem to have no idea of cause and effect on a fiscal level. You cut funding for CC, women think stuff this, I'm hardly making anything by the time I pay CC, public transport to and from work, uniforms, tax. Might as well stay home.

They may save money in what they pay for CC subsidies but their tax revenue with drop. They are robbing Peter to pay Paul. And there are so many more examples but I won't digress...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I work FT and I still get to see my baby 1 hr each morning and 3hrs at night you know

I think both can be achieved (seeing my baby grow up while maintaining a career).

It's not something society decided for me

And thats ok and I wasn't implying both can't be achieved necessarily but were talking about norms here - why is there such a massive demand for c/care now? Why do so many need it? I know just from bubhub threads hiw many parent's out there don't want to be going out to work or working so much while the kids are little, but need to. Those that want to work full-time are definitely not the majority. That's not the same as saying they're not being good parents, it's about what parents feel they should do versus what they actually have to do. They don't match up. Kids are in daycare from 6 months old because both parents have to work, in most cases.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Are people going to be worse off though? Looking at the graph we will be getting around about what we get now.
    I am guessing there will be no 7.5k cap which has to be a good thing as that sees many people with no rebate for 1/4 of the year and wearing the full cost of fees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @NoteToSelf I know I will be way worse off but because I'm one of the only 5% families that reach the $7.5k cap each year, we'll just be collateral damage I guess

I'm concerned about the subsidy base. It's not the fees paid by parents but it would be based on a government determined deemed cost of care.

So if the government think that cost of care should be $5 per hour and you get a 60% subsidy, you'll get $3per hour capped at 100 hrs per fortnight.

If you centre charge $10 per hour it means that you will be $7 out of pocket per hour...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @NoteToSelf the graph can be very deceptive. I guess the devil is in the details.

According to the graph my family pays for 51% of childcare fees. We actually pay for 62%.

If this goes ahead we would foot 75% of the fees. And no we don't earn over 300k

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast