+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Maternity leave question

Hi all, sorry in advanced if this has been done before but couldn't find anything to answer my question.
    So just a quick background, I'm in the middle of looking for part time work. I'm taking my time as in I want to make sure I go for the right job and end up with exactly what I want as I would love for this to be the IT job if I can. I am looking at a complete career change too so that's why I'm really nervous with it all. But anyways my question is if and when I do get a job there could be a slight chance that we'll start trying and I may be pregnant and take leave approx 6-8 months of being there. (This all depends on whether or not I take forever to get the job) (this is also just a scenario)
    So what kind of maternity leave am I entitled to if any? I would love to be able to go on leave for approx a year and then still be able to come back to it.
    I'm looking at jobs in banking, teller with big banks so not sure if anyone out there knows a little about their policies..
    Tia

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My understanding is anything under 12 months of service the company is not obligated to hold your position nor provide any paid or unpaid maternity leave.

Depending on your current working status you may not be eligible for federal government paid maternity either as you need to work 10 of the previous 13 months @ 330hrs minimum.

On top of that here are some other not so nice bits:
    - most companies have a 3 month probational period, if they get whiff of the pregnancy during this time they may find excuses to not pass you.
    - each pregnancy is different you may need sick leave and not have anything in the bank
    - trying to get time off for appointments when new may be hard

I suggest if you're not working now just take anything now ( and still look for dream job) so at least you have a chance at getting the federal ppl

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    I am sort of in this position atm. This is a miracle bub after many many miscarriages so planned but not if that makes sense.

I am not entitled to any maternity leave at all. I am also hiding my pregnancy until after probation. ( I am currently 17 weeks and need to hide for another 5 weeks).

Most likely I will be working up to the day bubs is born and having 6 weeks off unpayed then heading straight back.

My partner is taking the PPL from the government but we will be starting bubs in childcare from 8 weeks half days and building up to full days by 16 weeks when my partner goes back to work.

It is s tough situation but wr are realists and I am happy my partner gets special extra bonding time with his first and only biological child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Legally, you're not entitled to unpaid parental leave until you've been there for 12 months. However you could talk to them after you get the job and announce your pregnancy and see if they'll put your position on hold for a period of time. 12 months is probably too long but they might consider 3-6 months if you're a great employee. Get anything they agree to in writing.

I'm not sure about the policies of the banks, I know NAB provides paid parental leave but I imagine you'd have to work there for a period of time to be eligible.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for replies! I'm not to worried about ppl I'm more thinking it would be great if I could have a period of time off and they will still hold my job even if it's say 6 months or so. Saves me from having to look and re apply all over again! If only! Lol I know I'm thinking unrealistic but wishful thinking!!