+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tandem feeding

Hi all. Are there many tandem feeders around? I would love to hear your experiences feeding while pregnant and also when the new bub came. My DS is 9months old and I have just found out I am pregnant again (what a shock!). DS is feeding 4 times during the day but sleeps all night. I love feeding him and have no plans of ever completely actively weaning him. I just kinda thought I would get him to a morning and night feed by the time I go back to work at 12 months and then let him self wean. So do you think I can stick with this plan? Have any of you struggled to feed throughout your pregnancy. When the new bub comes is my son likely to go off feeding or will he want to feed every time he sees me feeding his sibling. What happened with your supply during pregnancy and in the early days? Sorry I am rambling but I am having a bit of trouble getting my head around it all. I have only told one person about my pregnancy and she was a bit negative about my plans. She seemed to think I would end up deciding to wean or that my son would self wean soon. I can also imagine my family will comment that feeding two babies is strange.... Not that their opinions would change my parenting plans but I just feel a bit fragile about it all.
    Thanks x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have breastfed through 3 of my 4 pregnancies. There are times where it hurts a little more but it passes. There are also times where my children went off but I persisted, it was like the milk was changing or something.

Only my last pregnancy I tandem fed. My daughter was 16months when my son was born she didn't really like the increased flow of milk though. We kept it up for a month or so but it was only when she asked for it. She self weaned I would have kept it up if she wanted it. I have only had 5 months off breastfeeding in the last 6.5 years and an still going. My son is 9 months so plan to feed for a while yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I'm tandem feeding my two girls, 28mo and 5mo. I fed all through my preg, and I'll just go through my experiences;
    toward the end of preg, I started feeling really 'touched out' and it was hurting a bit, we'd naturally got into a morning, nap and night only feeds, I did introduce a bottle at this stage to give me a rest. She never flinched with the changes in milk or supply, i pretty much had no milk at into third trimester, and she'd just suckle (this was when i was a bit over it)
    I'd talk to her about feeding bub and sharing, once bub was born, she was quite in awe and understood it was baby turn, shes so in love with her, she liked seeing her feed. I'd let her latch on the other side if she was feeling the need, and I was ok with it. That was my saving grace in the early days, two at once, I felt like a super hero, I got a baby and a toddler to sleep in 20 mins at bed time! It was beautiful, and I believed it helped with sharing and bonding, they have a boob each. I found it easier that way.
    Dd1 feeds increased after bubs was born, more because I wanted her to feed to relieve my engorged boobs! Now she realised the milk is back, she's never giving up the boob I swear. I'm ready for her to move on now I think! She's only been a bit ratty during the night when she wants a feed and I've got dd2, I'm not comfy doing two at once anymore. And am happy to refuse dd1 if I'm just not up to it (not that she's happy about that, she's a monster lately, she's started feeding in the night 3 to 4 times, and at least 2 in the day)
    I too didn't have support, I didn't really talk about it before hand, I just did it. Friends and family just assumed I'd wean, and would talk like I was, I'd just smile and nod. It was annoying but meh. I'm totally glad I've done what I decided to do, I felt the positives far outweigh any reasons not to do it, as tiring and crazy as it can be. Ohh and its great to be able to eat like 16 yo boy and keep losing weight! My god though, keeping up with the appetite is another job!
    Your plan sounds fine, and if you believe it and aim for it, I'm sure it will happen. It's just a hard thing for some people to wrap their heads around, stick to your plans, they sound very reasonable. Do what is right and comfortable by you and your babes. X sorry for the novel .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you both very much for sharing your experiences. Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I am finding it a bit difficult to face up to the reality that this is actually happening but I do really appreciate your replies. I might be back with more questions later. X