+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Could your dog tell you were pregnant?

My dp is 10+5 and the last few days one of dogs won't leave her side. Ally, this particular dog, has become incredibly protective of dp. Normally ally sleeps on the floor, but the last 3 nights she has jumped up on the bed and squeezed between dp and I and is sleeping with her head squished up against Dp's belly bump!
    So... Has you dog started acting different when you were pregnant?
    Do you think it's just that the dog can smell the changes in hormones? Or do you think a dog can hear the baby's heartbeat?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not long after I fell pregnant my dog was constantly trying to sit on me/be next to me/near me all the time, and snifing my belly which she never does. I don't know if she could sense the change in hormones or something - maybe I smell different to her? She is a snuggly/sooky dog anyway but right now she is particularly bad. She definitely knows something is up and I wonder if she can sense it getting closer? Not sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yup, my dog wouldn't leave me alone and the cat got in on the act as well. That was the end of being allowed to use the toilet in peace lol

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My dog didn't act any differently but then we realised i would have already been pregnant when we collected him as a puppy.
    The cat was a completely different story. She's not normally cuddly or really that nice of a cat. All of a sudden, in the hottest of hot weather, she couldn't get enough of me. Wanted to sit on my tummy constantly and still sits at my feet if she can't be next to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah my dog kept sniffing my laundry basket every morning and started sleeping on the bed when he usually sleeps on the floor. Definitely think he knew before me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep! He became very protective of me and would follow me around all day at home. He started sleeping outside our door tried to sit on me when we had people over. The day before I was induced he wouldn't leave me alone and would cry if I closed the bathroom door. He ended up jumping in the shower with me that day and I was so annoyed LOL.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think so. One of my dogs is a very excitable staffy who jumps up all over everyone (despite us consistently discouraging it for the past 7 years!) but as soon as I was pregnant she would not jump at me. A few times she came up & lifted her front feet up as if she was going to but seemed to think better of it and didn't. Once bub was born she seemed to think it was ok do it again. Amazing how they just know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. He started following me more than normal, looked lost a lot, wanted more attention and affection. They are so smart

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dog would not leave my side... Except to steal my undies from the laundry! Went back to normal after dd was born lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep knew before I did, she was obsessed with my tummy and at every opportunity had her head on my belly. Oddly, dd never once kicked her, the second my dog's head touched my belly she always stopped kicking. One day I almost passed out at the shops due to blood pressure problems and when I got home I lay on the couch while a frantic dog sniffed me head to toe then sniffed my belly as hard as she could. I tried to get up to go to the bathroom but she put her paws on my shoulders and growled softly so I lay down. She let me up an hour or so later and has never behaved that way before or since
    Dd is almost 3 and they are utterly obsessed with each other, our dog's name was her first word, our dog learnt peekaboo (hides then jumps up and goes 'awoooo'), goes on the slide (any size, if dd does it then the dog will follow her every time), trampoline, in the sandpit, plays tea parties (she gently chews the plastic food and tries to hold the cup in her mouth) and both are utterly miserable if separated. It's adorable, and a little amazing

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pandamonium For This Useful Post:

made2bAmummy  (17-08-2014)