+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Why? Sleeping/dreaming dramas (me)

Does this happen to anyone else? Where you become aware that you are dreaming and you can't wake yourself up? It's absolutely terrifying. It's mainly during a daytime nap. I try to slap myself, sometimes I can get my eyes to open for a split second or so, I've resorted to trying to kill myself (a la inception movie) which is sometimes successful. Once I become aware it's a dream I can control the dream a little but I'd much rather wake up so I cannot enjoy it. And when I manage to wake up I'm a mess and incredibly groggy for ages.

It used to be a rare occurrence but is happening frequently at the moment. My DH has no idea what I'm on about. Is this normal?why is this happening? Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Happens to me all the time. I think it's called sleep paralysis. When you know that you're asleep or dreaming and you're desperate to wake but you can't. It usually happens to me during day time naps too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (21-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Google sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming. I have had sleep paralysis a few times and its terrifying. I never knew what it was until about 12 months ago. I also lucid dream maybe once every few months (but I don't usually get sleep paralysis with lucid dreaming). I think it's pretty normal but its not nice at all!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've experienced this on a number of occasions, thankfully not much in recent years. It is damn terrifying. I can actually feel pain and sensation when it happens to me (like I can feel hands grabbing my body and hurting me).

I'm really not sure how to actually prevent it from happening. I believe on the occasions it has happened to me, it's been when I've fallen asleep very quickly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was just procrastinating and reading the wiki page on lucid dreaming - they have a section on false awakenings - I get this fairly regularly and it annoys me so much! And it happens over and over again until I actually wake up for real but it feels almost impossible to actually wake myself up - then I feel like you do as well (groggy/tired) - its horrible! OP is this what you get?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    I was just procrastinating and reading the wiki page on lucid dreaming - they have a section on false awakenings - I get this fairly regularly and it annoys me so much! And it happens over and over again until I actually wake up for real but it feels almost impossible to actually wake myself up - then I feel like you do as well (groggy/tired) - its horrible! OP is this what you get?
    Yes exactly!!! Like it happened again today and I thought I'd managed to wake up dragging myself out of bed only to discover I was still dreaming....this can take several attempts where I think I'm now awake and no longer dreaming but I'm not. I was a mess today it took a good 30 minutes after I actually woke up to be functioning again. It's now happening 3-4 times a week.
    Googling it all now never heard if this it seems fascinating. Bloody terrifying though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    It's really awful I've had some pretty terrifying things happen during this time. I actually avoid daytime naps now because it only seems to happen to me if I nap.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know exactly how you feel. I tend to get it if I wake up early morning (5am or something) and then go back to sleep, or if I nap during the day. I also go through phases of it - it will happen a lot and then I won't get it for 6 months or something. I just find it so annoying because in my dream I am saying to myself "wake up you're just dreaming", then I "wake up" but I am actually still dreaming and the whole thing repeats over and over. Its just like inception haha! Dreams within dreams within dreams and I try and force my eyes open but they won't. God I hate it! Completely get when you're coming from.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol yeah I loved inception! (Mostly for Joseph Gordon Levitt though ) couldn't believe it was so spot on with how I have layers of dreams and how it conveyed this... I was trying to explain it to DH and wasn't making any sense and I was beginning to wonder if I was a bit batty.
    I'm literally trying to prise my eyes open and scratching at my face though nothing is happening in real life.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 21-07-2014 at 15:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it has something to do with I'm napping longer than I used to- dd has long naps now and I'm fairly sleep deprived so Lately it's been over an hour- I always set an alarm for 90 minutes as I'm terrified I won't ever wake up but I might need to shorten it.