+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Okay, so! Re building!

We bought a 1900s about to fall down (major structural issues) villa that we have demolished and as I mentioned are in the process of having our slab poured.

We have built before, it was a knock down, subdivide and build 2 investment. We went with Weeks Macklin for that as we wanted cheap and as big as possible for the land size. We chose the basic package, let them do all the selections (we essentially chose a pre-set colour package).

To be honest I hate the houses. We actually live in 1 while,our house was demolished etc and it has steel frames, colourbond roof and no internal wall insulation - it makes for a very flimsy house which carries sound everywhere and gets hot and cold far too easily.

So we did what most people do, choose a builder, then a floor plan but by then you're tied in. We got screwed over by the footings so I you do this be sure to get the builder to do the engineering before paying a deposit so you can get a fixed price footing cost. Offer to pay for the engineering BEFORE you sign with the builder so you get no surprises.

I'll send this message before my phone dies, but I'll continue in a new post.....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

spoon  (24-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    This time. We did things sort of backwards for 3 reasons.

1. This is our forever home, we want to get every little detail right.

2. We don't want to have a builder rip us off with footings etc

3. Our house isn't in a heritage area, but one step down from it, so we needed to increase our chances of getting our demolition and build approval through council.

So we hired an architect to do out plans, hired an independent engineer to do our footings and structural work so we could take the exact same building plan and footings engineering to 4 builders to quote on so we knew we were comparing apples with apples.

So it was a bit backwards, took forever (we purchased it in May 2013) and are just doing the foundations now, but it has been well worth it! We have a great builder - Metro Properties and its being all done at a great price and 100% what we want in every way possible. Had we have done it the same way as the first build, I can almost guarantee we wouldn't have been as happy with the outcome.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

spoon  (24-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I would also advise to have a 10-15% contingency above the builders quote.

Our builder actually includes reverse cycle a/c, perimeter paving and,drive way and all flooring. These thing aren't usually included in pricing, so if you find a builder who includes all,of those, you can save yourself $30-40k!

Hmmmm, not sure what else to,
    mention at this point. I hope I've given you some food for thought.

I go on maternity leave as of next Monday and I'll be starting a building blog, so if I get it up and,
    running Ill post the link to it.

Good luck with your build and PM me if you want. I LOVE all thigs houses and design and love to chat about it too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

spoon  (24-07-2014)