+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Knock down rebuild

Hiya,

Just wanted to ask if there were other people who have considered or actually completed demolishing and rebuilding a house.

We are planning on doing this in the near future, just trying to find the right builder.Would love to hear about your story. Also would love to hear from others who have built new homes.

So excited

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interested in responses too. We're hoping to do this in the next couple of years.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

spoon  (21-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your reply Now I have at least someone to be excited with We have been looking for a builder for around 6 weeks. Have been going to the display homes etc. Where abouts are you looking at doing your KDR? We are in NSW in the Blue Mountains. Katoomba to be exact It is a great area, and we started thinking about this as a better option than buying a ready made house because of the price of property around here. It turns out we would be around $200,000 better off for doing this rather than buying a house. Have been living in this tiny old 2 brd house for a few years now it has been quite hard with 3 children. Just trying to imagine living in luxury Have you got any designs you like yet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    My in laws did this, it was a pretty massive undertaking but in the end they are so happy with it. Their house was very small and old, no point renovating as it would cost just the same as rebuilding and they didn't want to move as they loved the location.

I don't know the specifics like cost etc, I know it took quite a while, I think around 6 months from memory and obviously they had to move out temporarily. They have a beautiful modern home now and are really happy with how it all turned out.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

spoon  (21-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    About to have our slab poured, will come back and post properly a little later.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

spoon  (21-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by spoon View Post
    Thank you for your reply Now I have at least someone to be excited with We have been looking for a builder for around 6 weeks. Have been going to the display homes etc. Where abouts are you looking at doing your KDR? We are in NSW in the Blue Mountains. Katoomba to be exact It is a great area, and we started thinking about this as a better option than buying a ready made house because of the price of property around here. It turns out we would be around $200,000 better off for doing this rather than buying a house. Have been living in this tiny old 2 brd house for a few years now it has been quite hard with 3 children. Just trying to imagine living in luxury Have you got any designs you like yet?
    It's a daunting process isn't it? We're not looking to start anything until our boys are a bit older and we've got a bit more money to spend on outsourcing a few jobs. We built the house we're currently in and did a lot of it ourselves, but that was pre-kids.

We've got an old house in an area we like and it would definitely be a lot cheaper to rebuild than buy a newer house in that area. Have you found some display homes that you like? We've got a few ideas, and then of course there's pinterest!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

spoon  (21-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are in the middle of doing this. Just waiting to get the planning approval from the council as we speak. We have found a builder and are about to sign the final contracts. So far it's been a fairly long process which I wasn't expecting. At times a little stressful, but I will feel better once we get that planning permit in our hands. Are you planning on knocking down your current home or buying an old dump and demolishing that? We are doing the latter.
    1) Before you buy anywhere make sure you know if there are any overlays on the property. Our block has a vegetation overlay (making it very difficult to remove trees) and a character overlay (meaning we had no choice but to apply for a planning permit - this costs extra $$ and holds up the process by months)
    2) If you buy a block with no overlays, all you have to do is organise for the gas and electricity to be abolished, and apply for a demolition permit. It's pretty simple really. If you buy a block that requires you to apply for a planning permit it requires a bit more work on your behalf. You can check with the council before you buy whether you need a planning permit or not.
    3) Get a rough idea of how much the demo will cost (small weatherboards are anywhere between 10-15k) and remember to budget for the cost of a demolition permit
    4) Make sure you know what the councils siting guidelines are so you don't pick a house that won't fit on your block.
    5) The flatter the block is the better. Anything with even the slightest slope will cost you extra in site costs. Same goes for a block with a lot of trees, tree roots mean you need a special slab which costs more than a standard slab.
    6) if you are in a bushfire prone zone be prepared for extra costs (allow $20k) to bring it up to fire code
    Thats all the comes to mind at the moment. As for the actual building process it's different for everyone (we have built before) but I always allow an extra $50k on top of the base price for upgrades. These builders have e bare minimum as standard. Things like eaves, high ceilings, brick upgrades, fly screens, etc are not standard and all add up!
    i have to say though I loved building the first time around, and I know once this house gets going I'll love it again. There is nothing quite like a brand new house!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

spoon  (21-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    My in laws did this, it was a pretty massive undertaking but in the end they are so happy with it. Their house was very small and old, no point renovating as it would cost just the same as rebuilding and they didn't want to move as they loved the location.

I don't know the specifics like cost etc, I know it took quite a while, I think around 6 months from memory and obviously they had to move out temporarily. They have a beautiful modern home now and are really happy with how it all turned out.
    How nice for them do you know who they built with?

Quote Originally Posted by SalsaMama View Post
    It's a daunting process isn't it? We're not looking to start anything until our boys are a bit older and we've got a bit more money to spend on outsourcing a few jobs. We built the house we're currently in and did a lot of it ourselves, but that was pre-kids.

We've got an old house in an area we like and it would definitely be a lot cheaper to rebuild than buy a newer house in that area. Have you found some display homes that you like? We've got a few ideas, and then of course there's pinterest!

We have been checking out a few builders. we are building a 2 storey house on a block that is 15 metres wide and 612m2 so we are looking for something that has lots of requirements. So far we like GJ Gardener the best. Twin waters 300. It is an amazing design, with everything we need.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    We are in the middle of doing this. Just waiting to get the planning approval from the council as we speak. We have found a builder and are about to sign the final contracts. So far it's been a fairly long process which I wasn't expecting. At times a little stressful, but I will feel better once we get that planning permit in our hands. Are you planning on knocking down your current home or buying an old dump and demolishing that? We are doing the latter.
    1) Before you buy anywhere make sure you know if there are any overlays on the property. Our block has a vegetation overlay (making it very difficult to remove trees) and a character overlay (meaning we had no choice but to apply for a planning permit - this costs extra $$ and holds up the process by months)
    2) If you buy a block with no overlays, all you have to do is organise for the gas and electricity to be abolished, and apply for a demolition permit. It's pretty simple really. If you buy a block that requires you to apply for a planning permit it requires a bit more work on your behalf. You can check with the council before you buy whether you need a planning permit or not.
    3) Get a rough idea of how much the demo will cost (small weatherboards are anywhere between 10-15k) and remember to budget for the cost of a demolition permit
    4) Make sure you know what the councils siting guidelines are so you don't pick a house that won't fit on your block.
    5) The flatter the block is the better. Anything with even the slightest slope will cost you extra in site costs. Same goes for a block with a lot of trees, tree roots mean you need a special slab which costs more than a standard slab.
    6) if you are in a bushfire prone zone be prepared for extra costs (allow $20k) to bring it up to fire code
    Thats all the comes to mind at the moment. As for the actual building process it's different for everyone (we have built before) but I always allow an extra $50k on top of the base price for upgrades. These builders have e bare minimum as standard. Things like eaves, high ceilings, brick upgrades, fly screens, etc are not standard and all add up!
    i have to say though I loved building the first time around, and I know once this house gets going I'll love it again. There is nothing quite like a brand new house!
    We are living in the house that will be knocked down. We have pretty good zoning here, no special protections. Slight slope but we are just being careful with the footprint of thehouse. So exciting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you able to make significant changes to the plans if you want to?

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    remember to include in your budget a reasonable amount for contingencies and upgrades.

It ALWAYS costs more than you think it will.

Once you sing the contracts, changes cost money .. and upgrading tiles, finishes etc costs a fair amount as quite often the choices in the builders range arent what you want.

Things like an extra course of bricks, fully tiled bathroom, different window treatments (if they are included), even better taps and nice sinks make a huge difference and can be worth the extra money - but you need to add in the cost.

Light fittings too can be expensive, but worth it.

have fun