+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was an excellent sleeper in the early days. She first slept through (7hrs) at 7 days old and was doing this consistently by 7 weeks. She was doing 10-12hes straight every night by 10 weeks. She's 15 months now and her sleep stopped being so great at about 10 months. She's up for a couple of hours most nights now, but that's a different story.

Here's what we did in the early days:
    Naps in light filled room, making no effort to be quiet
    Lights dimmed during night feeds. No talking or eye contact
    Feed, change nappy to wake baby, feed again
    Put baby in bassinet awake (I did this from birth. Rarely rocked her to sleep. We used white noise or singing instead). This of course depends on the baby's temperament. Mine was happy with this. I did not leave her to cry at all. I'm guessing a lot of babies would not be the same.
    Introduce a night time routine (we started at 12 weeks). Bath, book, feed, song, bed. We still do the exact same thing, minus the milk.
    This is our own personal choice, but we have never brought her into bed with us. Not a habit I wanted to get in to. There's of course nothing wrong with doing it. It may be hard down the track to move them to their own bed, but it could be worth it if it means getting sleep early on. We decided that for us it wasn't worth it.

i do think a lot of it depends on the baby itself. They are all so different. There are definitely things you can do to help but some are just bad sleepers. I do think a (very loose) routine is critical. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! We have already taken some of them onboard today and hopefully we get some good results this time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When our second baby came hubby moved to DSs bedroom and I slept with newbie. She sleeps in the cot beside my bed.
    Hubby and DS both gets a good night sleep while I do the night shift, then hubby watches both kids and I catch up on some morning sleep. I get to stretch out on our big bed too
    The only issue was I wanted to have cuddle time with DS too.
    1 year later DD decides she hates the cot and wants to sleep on the bed with me, that's when I moved to DSs room with DD. So now the 3 of us sleep together and hubby sleeps in our master room.
    We love our arrangement and everyone gets a good night sleep.

I tried dream feed with DD and it worked quite well, but we never really has a strict routine with her. Kind of go with the flow. It does come down to the baby too. I would just be consistent. We co sleep after 1 and I have noticed that they sleep a lot better co sleep.
    Last edited by tubster; 21-07-2014 at 21:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks tubster!
    We still co sleep with DS every night after he wakes up from 11pm onwards and I really love waking up to his cuddles. I'm happy to do it with her too down the track but secretly hoping she will love her bed and sleep 8+ hours within a year!