+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I will reply properly in the morning but you will 100% be fine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to say, Go You! You can do it on your own, especially if you have good family support. FOB may grow up down the track and want to be involved. My ex decided he wanted nothing to do with DD after we separated. We had no contact for a year, then he decided he was ready to grow up and be a dad again.
    He's still pretty useless, but it's definitely better than nothing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nudge88 View Post
    Just wanted to say, Go You! You can do it on your own, especially if you have good family support. FOB may grow up down the track and want to be involved. My ex decided he wanted nothing to do with DD after we separated. We had no contact for a year, then he decided he was ready to grow up and be a dad again.
    He's still pretty useless, but it's definitely better than nothing.
    Hi @nudge88 thank you. Yeah I think I will have the same situation. He's a few years younger than me and guys always seem more interested once the kids have more personality. It would be nice for them to know their Dad and I thought it best to give him the option. But he's got to want to be involved. I'm not going to force it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Surprisetimes2 For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (13-10-2014)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

thats a good approach

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought I'd update this thread.

I found out at my 20 week scan yesterday that I'm having healthy twin girls. Haven't had contact or attempted to initiate any with fob since our last not so pleasant time at 7 weeks.

I went to centrelink to try and find out about my entitlements so I can budget, mainly in that 20 weeks where I am not receiving pml/ppl. They just directed me to their payment estimator which is useless unless you have a current dob and, for csa, know the income of the fob. It also doesn't seem to account for multiples. They did set up a can for me so that was helpful but otherwise I'm none the wiser. I did some more reading on child support and I think I need to see someone to discuss when/how I get that ball rolling and find out how much I might expect.

It seems as though I will be living fortnight to fortnight or month to month and from what I can tell some payments don't always come on time or in regular amounts such as ftb and csa.

My bank were more helpful and have come up with a way I can reduce my repayments for the time being by a bit. I am looking into getting a new car though as mine is too small posing a safety and space issue. So swings and roundabouts there.

I'm still none the wiser as to how you single parents of multiples cope. I'm going to try and pay down the last bit of cc debt and then save as much as I can for those times when money may not be on time but otherwise it's a bit stressful not knowing what my budget will be.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for here - perhaps any further advice, particularly on the centrelink/csa might help. Or just reassurance perhaps.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would assume you will be entitled to single parent payment which is $713 a fortnight. You would get that 1 week and then the next week you would get family tax benefit.
    For 2 kids the maximum amount (affected by child support) would be about (roughly) $500ish. If you go on centrelink website look up family tax benefit a and b, rent assistance. You can then see maximum payment rate and how its affected.

Hope that made sense. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can also ask for an appointmenw to see a social worker (play dumb if you need to) and get them to walk you through everything. You usually have to ring first.

As for twins as a single parent. Budget, budget, budget. Also routine, and if someone offers help, take it. Even if it's to do dishes or something. If one or both end on formula you can get a bulk discount by ordering direct from your prefered brand. From memory you have to supply proof of 2 bubs. If you end up being sent away to birth, depending on distance there are schemes in place to help financially while away, the hospital social worker can help. We found both being the one gender helps as you only need 1 and a half wardrobes not 2 as they get older lol. There are mixed views but depending where you stand you can also sleep them at opposite ends of one cot initially.

Good luck, twice the work, twice the fun, twice the love and cuddles. You'll be fine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Maia For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (13-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @ourbradybunch - that's pretty much all I can do at the moment is assume and guess. The estimator doesn't really give me much more than a guess anyway. Ugh, wish they could just do the calculations and tell you upfront before you do all the claim forms, etc.
    @Maia I may do that actually so thank you for suggesting it. I will be sleeping the girls in the one cot for now side by side with a separator as recommended by the lady at the baby store. I'm getting a lot of help from my family which is great and I'm certainly not going to refuse it. I've subbed to a couple of good threads that will give me some ideas for saving money too. It'll all work itself out I'm sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I recommend Christians Against Poverty for help working out a budget that is workable. They are free and awesome.

I don't have twins but I'm on my own with 6. You can do it

Feel free to pm me anytime to talk/ vent or whatever