+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Induction after c-section

Hi, just wondered if anyone has had any form of induction after a c-section. I'm under the impression that obs don't usually do many induction type things, but what about breaking waters or gel? Just to get things started? I have had 2 vbacs.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My OB refused any type of induction (including gel) after my first Caesarian. And he would also only let me labour for 4 hours before performing a Caesarian. He did do a stretch and sweep though (it didn't do anything for me).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    My OB refused any type of induction (including gel) after my first Caesarian. And he would also only let me labour for 4 hours before performing a Caesarian. He did do a stretch and sweep though (it didn't do anything for me).
    Off topic I know, but wow 4hrs isn't long! Have you had your second bub?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dr wouldn't give me any drugs to induce me but would do a stretch and sweep or rupture membranes. He was happy to use low dose syntocin once labour was established.

We didn't need to do any of this and time frames were never mentioned, as long as I was progressing he was happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an attempt at S&S (wasn't dilated at all so not really possible). When in labour, once DS's heart rate was staying too high, they offered a low pitocin drip to ramp up the contractions and speed things up and offered an epidural. (I opted for repeat EMCS) At my booking appointment they had said no epi for VBAC but there you go, things can change from 'policy'.

Gel has the highest risk as it can potentially also soften the scar. I have heard of a Foley's/balloon catheter being used for VBAC. I would think they would break your waters if your cervix is favourable but think this is risky as, if you don't then go into labour, they will want to do a section before infection risk starts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Goosey, do I remember correctly that you have GDM? Is that why you're looking at induction?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My OB won't induce me as I've had a c-section... It's either go into labour naturally or repeat c-section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Goosey, do I remember correctly that you have GDM? Is that why you're looking at induction?
    I had GDM with ds1(my c-section 6yrs ago) and dd (Vbac) but ds2 no diagnosed GD and although I haven't had my GD test I think it won't be positive as anytime I spot check my blood sugars it's well within normal. However ds2, was my biggest (4.3kg) and got mild shoulder dystocia. So, I'm feeling like I don't want to go over too much on dates and grow another massive baby! I am watching my diet more this time and will do scans at 36 and 40wks, but just wanted some experiences with induction when there is a scar. I'm not keen on a c-section, but the big baby and shoulder dystocia was pretty scary!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Depends on your doctor/hospital/your own personal risk factors.

Where I am we don't use the gel, but will use the balloon.

Will break waters

Will use the drip (synto) if its been more than 2 years since the last caesar.

Normal limits on length of labour.
    Is breaking waters usually successful? I'm pretty scared of the drip!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be surprised if you were given the drip being a vbac, many hospitals don't offer the drip or gel. The Foley catheter balloon is a safe induction ethos though for vbacs.

Just bear in mind if they do break your waters from my understanding, the clock starts ticking. If bub isn't ready to come and labor doesn't progress it may result in another Cesarean. GL hun.