+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Part Time v full time work

So just curious...
    DH works full time. I have just got a very much needed part time job which I love. This job will help our financial obligations greatly in helping look after our DD who has a syndrome. Plus I get to do something for me.

Who has the most important job? Him or me?

My thoughts. .. They are both equally important. But he's just told me that his job is more important. .. coming from a place where he will probably have to look after her at home tomorrow because DD is sick and cannot go to daycare. He says a full time job is way more important than part time. I tried to sit down to do planning as I'm a teacher today but he wanted to do his work so it was very hard for me with DD hanging off my legs! ! Again. .. He sees his job more important. But I disagree.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If your job is not as important, ask him how he'd feel if you gave it the toss then?

Both are important and should take turns in taking precedence. I have had the same issue at times, when DS has been sick it's me that takes time off, which is ok some of the time. Balance is important a for both jobs. I know we're both in education and I think compared to DH industry it has been easier for me to take the time but it's still frustrating how it's an expectation rather than a compromise or negotiation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Main issue is that I've only been back one day! !! And my second day on the job I had to take the day off. I cannot possibly take another day. I desperately want them to offer me more contracts.

He nagged and nagged about getting a job. .. Now I have one he's not supportive. .. Though thinks he is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In this case then, he's completely wrong in this instance. He is not being supportive of you in the job he nagged you to take.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    I Think it depends more on the actual job. Like if someone has a full time job that is casual based it is not as important as a part time job in a permanant position that brings in equal money as the full time casual job. Stability is very important as well as career development in the importance of a career.

It really depends what your partners job is and your own over who is full time and part time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me it is the job you can least afford to lose so for me it's my husbands within reason of course.
    We have to prioritize his work as his income pays our bills.
    His work is family friendly and he can work from home if I or the baby needs him too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @tastychicken
    He works in HR. He earns good money. The same salary I would earn if I was working full time in education. My career is just as important as his. We never intended for me not to work but unfortunately our DD has high needs with her medical condition so returning full time is not an option. Even if I wanted to. His salary alone will not sustain us though. My added salary will.

Though also. .. I think if the mum wants to work and it's good for her mental health then it's just as important. Work for me is a kind of respite. ... so yeah. .. I think it's really

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP, have you thought about picking up some relief teaching work? Better pay and less work after hours, as I'm sure you already know.
    I did this when my kids were a bit younger as I found it the best fit at the time. I now job share and know that you pretty much have to work an extra full day at home with planning and emails etc. teaching is not always the family friendly job people think it is.
    With regards to whose job is the most important, each case will be different and it depends on the nature of the work also. It all about the balance too, I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    If your job is not as important, ask him how he'd feel if you gave it the toss then?

Both are important and should take turns in taking precedence. I have had the same issue at times, when DS has been sick it's me that takes time off, which is ok some of the time. Balance is important a for both jobs. I know we're both in education and I think compared to DH industry it has been easier for me to take the time but it's still frustrating how it's an expectation rather than a compromise or negotiation.
    This.

Just because he works full time does not make his role more important than yours. Your roles are both equally important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I work pt and my DH ft. I treat his job as more important, because it is a career job in that he is climbing the ladder and heading the future of his family towards financial independence - my job would never get us there, even ft. Without his job we wouldn't be where we are. In saying that, he has never even hinted that he thinks his job is more important - I work pt and if the kids are sick I will stay home. But, we do the rest of the child raising and house work as a team.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle  (20-07-2014)