+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Fractured knee and pelvis?

This morning I slipped on wet tiles and did the splits and one of my legs twisted in a way I didn't know it could twist and hurt my knee pretty badly with it swelling immediately. I have been in excruciating pain ever since, we were at my parents house for the weekend when it happened so to help make the 2 hour drive home bearable my Mum gave me some panadiene forte and muscle relaxant and it worked cause it knocked me out and I slept most of the way. We are home now and the pain in my knee is unbearable that I am avoiding walking and I can't straighten my leg without nearly passing out from pain. My pelvis is also in a lot of pain to the point sitting makes me want to cry and having a full bladder is so painful. I am worried I might have fractured either or both but I am able to walk even if it is very slowly and painfully so that makes me think not. I live in a small town and can't get to the Dr until tomorrow so am wondering if anyone has ever had either a fractured knee or pelvis and does it sound possible that I have done that kind of thing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm so sorry that happened. Please don't wait until tomorrow to get it looked at and get someone to take you to hospital ASAP for X-rays and appropriate pain management.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Carpe diem 2013 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (20-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe diem 2013 View Post
    I'm so sorry that happened. Please don't wait until tomorrow to get it looked at and get someone to take you to hospital ASAP for X-rays and appropriate pain management.
    We live in a small town with a small hospital, already spoken to the nurse on shift (only 2 there) and was told by the cranky lady that it is not life threatening so they won't call a dr and will give me some nurofern and send me home. I have nurofern here so really don't want to go through the pain of a car trip for that but I will try again when the night nurses start I might get a nicer one then

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im sorry that the nurse was so unhelpful. I'm not sure what state you are in but is there a telephone helpline you can call for some advice on how best to manage until tomorrow? I'd be inclined to wrap up an ice pack and to place that on the area of swelling to reduce inflammation and swelling but I'm not wanting to tell you the wrong thing. I think about 10 mins so you don't damage your skin from the cold is about right

Thanks
    Reviews
    My local hospital is the same, you have to be dying before they will call the doctor to come in.
    I would go in an demand they call the doctor. Tell them you are the one paying the bill, not them (presuming the doctor would bill you). Or if you are in too much pain call an ambulance.
    I hope you are ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my goodness you poor thing I would go into the hospital anyway. If you have fractured your pelvis/knee - this should be taken seriously, you can't really just leave it as they may need stabilising etc (sorry I don't want to worry you!). They can always get a phone order from the Doctor for some stronger pain relief, which it sounds like you need. How ridiculous on their part! How far away is the next hospital???

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the lower half of your leg was sticking out at an odd angle it's highly likely that you have dislocated the knee. Did you come down onto the knee (which could fracture it) or did it slip out to the side awkwardly? The hip is hopefully just super sore from some muscle tearing by doing the splits.

With my dislocated knees they needed to wait a few says for the swelling to go down before putting it into a cast. Until then it needed to be kept immobile, wrapped in an elastic/compression bandage, elevated and ice. If there is no one at the hospital to do an xray, chances are this is all the nurses will do anyhow. Nurofen won't be enough though, stick to the panadeine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If u may have fractured your pelvis you need to be seen as you can lose a lot of blood

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy12 For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (20-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My leg twisted so that it landed knee down on the tiles, there is no odd angles but it is very painful to bend and straightening it makes me damn near pass out. Sitting it still very painful, I couldn't sit for dinner for long as the pelvic/groin/bottom pain made me sick. The pain is constant, there is no coming and going in waves or with movement it is there all the time just worse with movement. Hospital is still no help so I have just had some more Panadiene and will be ringing the Drs as soon as they open.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hmmm. Keep an eye on it and if your toes/feet start to tingle, swell, change colour or temperature, or you get a fever, go to the hospital and make merry hell until they get you seen by a doctor.