+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks guys. I may have to take an evening off feeding and give him a bottle of formula. I thought my nipple was getting better but now I think it's getting worse. Expressing hurts too, and I get very little. He does get a bottle of formula each night anyway as he wasn't gaining weight.

I don't want to stop, I have never had a good experience bfing and this has been so much better than it was with my last two. I think my nipple needs a break, but I am terrified of losing my supply and terrified of him refusing me for the bottle which is what ended up happening with DS1. I feel a bit damned if I do damned if I don't. I just hope that taking a day off feeding doesn't make this decision for me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the fact that DS1 would be a jealous brat regardless is the reason I haven't packed it in already tbh- deep down I reckon he would be behaving like this regardless of whether I BF or FF!

I do wear him a lot of the time, he is a clingy bub and I think he would be clingy either way too- today has been especially hard as I left my carrier in the car and DH took it to soccer with him by accident. Babywearing is a total saviour with a velcro bub!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My second was a velcro bub. She eased up around 12 weeks and became happier to not be attached to me. Are you sure your cracked nipple isn't thrush? Thrush can cause cracks that don't heal and it's soooooo painful. You can get Daktarin cream over the counter at the chemist, and it's safe for baby...might be worth a try? If it is thrush you'll be feeling heaps better within 24 hours.
    I have never bottle fed, but I always used to wonder how I'd cope bottle feeding...every time I fed I'd have no hands free...at least with breastfeeding I only needed one hand, and when I was desperate I could do an awkward bf in a carrier to have two hands free.
    I also found I had enough to carry when we were out and about with a baby and a toddler...not having to pack formula and bottles was always something I was grateful for.
    There are a thousand other reasons why I continued to bf through the hard times, but I used to give myself short goals when it was tough to make it feel more doable and we always made the short goals, and then would continue on past it.
    However, if you set yourself a goal and you reach it and want to stop bf'ing then your body, your choice

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs it is so hard especially at that age. Have you introduced a dummy? If he already gets a formula feed a day I wouldn't worry about increasing to a second bottle of formula for a few days to help you heal. If nipple confusion was going to happen it would have by now too as it sounds like the formula feed is an ongoing thing. Are you ok though? The graze not healing may be due to being run down. I'd increase the vitamins and potentially take a course of probiotics too. You've past the peak of the worst part IMO (6 weeks) would be a shame to stop now. You're only a couple of weeks from plain sailing! Perhaps drop in to your local breast feeding clinic at the CHN centre this week?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elle83 For This Useful Post:

risfaerie  (20-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In regards to the graze, I found plastering it with Lansinoh just after a feed, and then gently stretching the nipple before the next one seemed to help. I also used a shield for a while.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    @Party of Three yes i'm prone to thrush and found that was one of the reasons bfing was painful after 6 weeks. Make sure to check bubs bottom for thrush - ds wouldnt show signs in his mouth but does on his bottom.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

risfaerie  (20-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    . Are you sure your cracked nipple isn't thrush? Thrush can cause cracks that don't heal and it's soooooo painful. You can get Daktarin cream over the counter at the chemist, and it's safe for baby...might be worth a try? If it is thrush you'll be feeling heaps better within 24 hours.
    It's thrush. I ended up crying in the pharmacy as I described what I thought was thrust to the pharmacist. Thank goodness I chose a pharmacist who has BF 2 kids! Have Daktarin now. He has no thrush in his mouth but has thrush on his bum. Everything says that it will clear quickly, so I have started with the cream straight away. Skipped his mid arvo feed, instead sat in my room crying while mum and dad gave him a bottle. Will feed through the pain in about 15 mins, then give him a bottle later tonight. God I hope this cream really does work within 24 hours, I am in agony.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-07-2014),Full House  (20-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 3 more weeks to make it to my first goal of 3 months. I really do want this to work this time.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-07-2014),Full House  (20-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by risfaerie View Post
    It's thrush. I ended up crying in the pharmacy as I described what I thought was thrust to the pharmacist. Thank goodness I chose a pharmacist who has BF 2 kids! Have Daktarin now. He has no thrush in his mouth but has thrush on his bum. Everything says that it will clear quickly, so I have started with the cream straight away. Skipped his mid arvo feed, instead sat in my room crying while mum and dad gave him a bottle. Will feed through the pain in about 15 mins, then give him a bottle later tonight. God I hope this cream really does work within 24 hours, I am in agony.
    It will, and put it on just before you feed him, it helps to take the edge off the pain. I would get thrush without my babies showing any signs of it, so I just had a tube of Daktarin in the cupboard ready to go.
    As painful as thrush is, think of it this way...you won't get to this point with thrush again because you'll know what it is, and you'll get on top of it straight away if you get it again. This is one hurdle you've come up against and have solved

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-07-2014),risfaerie  (20-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much everyone! I'm feeling far better about it all now that I have an answer. I really want to keep feeding this little dude, and the cream is working already. My lovely bub is back where he belongs, feeding as we speak. Still hurts, but far less excruciating now- I cannot get over how quickly it helps!

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-07-2014),Full House  (20-07-2014),HappyBovinexx  (20-07-2014),moosey  (20-07-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (20-07-2014)