+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    you know, we drive very little too. It just so happens that the majority of the things we need to access are walking or riding distance so that's what we do.
    However, did you know that 1 in 3 accidents occur within 1.6km from home? My daughter's friend, they were one street behind the school, in a quiet back street.
    It sounded like you were completely dismissing the test because the law doesn't tell you to follow it. Until the changes came in the law said a child only needed to be in a car restraint until they were 12 months old. Our car seat laws have improved tons, but they could be improved further and are behind compared to other countries. I have had quite a few of my 8 year old's friends tell me they don't need a booster seat anymore because they're too tall, and that may be true for the kids who drive around in small cars, but I've seen them in their SUV's with the seatbelt cutting across their neck as they wave to my kids on their way home from school. Probably their parents aren't aware of the test, and think that because their kid is over 7 they don't need a car seat anymore.

Your child, your choice (as you are the one who has to live with the guilt for the rest of your life if something else) but if your child needs a car seat to drive to the next town/city, then they still need to be in a booster close to home too. I just look at my daughter's friend and think how unfair it is that she might have permanent organ damage from something that could have been completely preventable.
    100% agree.
    I'm sorry Kimberleygal but your comments sounded naive and uninformed. Just because you don't travel far doesn't mean you won't have an accident.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SummerFun For This Useful Post:

Full House  (22-07-2014),~ElectricPink~  (22-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I'm not risking anything! My ds is quite tall already so I'm sure it will be well and truelly safe for him to be in the car without a booster by the time he is 7. Besides which, we live in a small country town where we drive very little, the most we drive is to the shop or school being not even a 2 km distance but mostly we walk. In the 7 years we have lived here there hasn't been a car accident here. When travelling out of town driving to the nearest town 2 hours away or 4 wheel driving the booster will go in the car. Had I been living in the city I may be more concerned.
    But why give your child the minimum safety when you can give the maximum? If you feel it's necessary to out them in a booster for a longer drive, what's the harm in doing it all the time? It's really not that much more effort.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Full House  (22-07-2014),peanutmonkey  (24-07-2014),SummerFun  (22-07-2014),~ElectricPink~  (22-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I found this to be a really interesting read so thought I'd share: @Kimberlygal1 tagging you because I thought you might like to read it. This is from an article released last year, so post new laws.

Nearly 80 children die as passengers each year on Australian roads, and another 1500 are seriously injured. The Child Accident Prevention Foundation of Australia, Kidsafe, says that children who are not properly restrained, like Isabella Cardwell, are seven times more likely to be seriously injured or killed in a car crash.
    Neuroscience Research Australia is calling on the Federal Government to upgrade the laws. They say that the legislation is complicated and confusing, with no centralized reference point and conflicting guidelines.
    New car seat guidelines for children have been announced today by Kidsafe and Neuroscience Research Australia aimed at helping parents and car seat distributors to better understand how to keep kids safe in cars.
    Professor Lynne Bilston from Neuroscience Research Australia says that one area in particular that the government needs to look at is the age that booster seats are mandatory.
    “No seven year old is really big enough to get good protection from just an adult seat belt,” she said.
    In the new guidelines the recommendation is to keep children “up to and including 12 years of age “ in the back seat of the car and in a booster seat. (Currently children can sit in an adult seat at the age of 7, and are allowed in the front.)
    “A booster seat reduces the risk of serious neck, abdominal and lumbar spine injuries in. Many parents stop using boosters too early because they don’t understand the benefits,” said Professor Bilston.

source: http://www.ivillage.com.au/new-car-s...dren-released/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (24-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bit off topic. Hoping someone can help.
    dd is 3.5 years old, 17 kilos and 100cm tall.
    We have her in a anchored car seat and she fits perfectly going by the indicated shoulder markers on the seat.
    But the car we have is a dual cab hilux and the anchor point is very close to the back of the seat/window, what keeps happening is the anchor straps are fraying from rubbing and the straps get loose, trying to tighten them back up is near impossible, both times the car seats have been installed is through the ambulance service and I have no idea how they even got there hands in to instal in, It's really hard to explain, but we now need a new car seat.
    So at what age can she have a car seat that doesn't have an anchor? Is it by age? Is it by her size?
    I've looked online and I'm confused.

I found this picture online and it's how our anchor strap sits, right behind the seat, the back of our seat is metal and it keeps fraying the straps. ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1406172222.071891.jpg

The back seats also don't seem to come down? It's a 2010 model and we have looked in the manual and can't find anything.
    When DH booked it in for a service at the dealer they said you can't put the back seats down, and that means we can't tighten the dam straps when they get loose!
    Gah! I hope all this makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Liddybugs my dd is 7 and I still use the anchor feature she is in a maxi rider. Not sure on legalities.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jensha For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (24-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids boosters are all anchored.
    However, if straps are fraying they need to be replaced. I have always had my car seats professionally installed and the man couldn't stress this enough.
    I don't know how you stop them from fraying when it's the design of the car causing it, but maybe contact the manufacturer of your DD's car seat. They might have some recommendations for you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (24-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    My kids boosters are all anchored.
    However, if straps are fraying they need to be replaced. I have always had my car seats professionally installed and the man couldn't stress this enough.
    I don't know how you stop them from fraying when it's the design of the car causing it, but maybe contact the manufacturer of your DD's car seat. They might have some recommendations for you.
    This is the second car seat we have lost due to fraying in a year, we always have them fitted by the ambulance service.
    I might actually try and call the manufacturer because you would think they would be strong enough to last more than 6 months regardless of how the car is.
    When we fit the new car seat I might ask the fitters if it's ok to maybe put a towel or some kind of buffer between the tether straps and the back of the seat.
    We live on rural farming property so we do need that car to get around.
    Ugh! Really should of looked into this more when deciding on the car

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Liddybugs View Post
    This is the second car seat we have lost due to fraying in a year, we always have them fitted by the ambulance service.
    I might actually try and call the manufacturer because you would think they would be strong enough to last more than 6 months regardless of how the car is.
    When we fit the new car seat I might ask the fitters if it's ok to maybe put a towel or some kind of buffer between the tether straps and the back of the seat.
    We live on rural farming property so we do need that car to get around.
    Ugh! Really should of looked into this more when deciding on the car
    The manufacturer's should have an answer for you It must be so frustrating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the seat has a tether you must use it. You can use an untethered booster (there are 3 on the market ) once they turn 4. Absolutely no reason why you can't put a towel over the back of the seat to protect the tether. You can just get the tether replaced but depending on where you are it might be easier to get a new seat.

And hilux's are a pain to fit seats in - the back rest doesn't come forward at all. My work car regularly gets sworn at.