+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The pamphlet I have from the antenatal clinic says nothing about the test. It is age and weight specific and that's what I'm going by. Ds1 is 6yrs and 3mths. According to the pamphlet he doesn't need a car seat or a booster seat when he turns 7 therefore he will not be having one except will put the booster in on long trips.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS is 7 (and a half) and doesn't use a booster anymore. He's tall though, like me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    The pamphlet I have from the antenatal clinic says nothing about the test. It is age and weight specific and that's what I'm going by. Ds1 is 6yrs and 3mths. According to the pamphlet he doesn't need a car seat or a booster seat when he turns 7 therefore he will not be having one except will put the booster in on long trips.
    There is no legal requirement to use the test but it is a good guideline to use. Depending on which car you are in kids may sit differently and may need a booster in some cars but not others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The pamphlets state the laws...but our law isn't the best. The test is a kidsafe recommended test. Why would you risk it? One of my daughter's friends had an accident at 40km and her friend may have permanent kidney damage from the lap part of the seatbelt cutting in to her abdomen on impact. she's been in a lot of pain, spent nights in hospital and had to undergo so many tests. If she was properly restrained so that the lap part of the belt sat on her hips she wouldn't be going through this now. If a child has a seatbelt cutting across their neck in a car accident their neck takes the brunt of the force. Have you seen the bruises people get on their chest from the seatbelt after an accident? A seatbelt could break your child's neck. I am stumped as to why anyone would risk that just because the law says it's okay. I don't get it.

To the pp who was worried about her 9 year old DD...don't stress about it. My 8 1/2 year old is 24kg and almost all of her friends are heavier than she is. My DD is on the 25th percentile so it makes sense that most of her friends are heavier. The only friend that doesn't look healthy is her friend who is 5 months younger than her and weighs close to 50kg She's obese due to poor diet and she's starting to struggle to actively keep up with the other kids her age.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (22-07-2014),gizmoduckus  (21-07-2014),GrabbyCrabby  (22-07-2014),~ElectricPink~  (21-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    The pamphlets state the laws...but our law isn't the best. The test is a kidsafe recommended test. Why would you risk it? One of my daughter's friends had an accident at 40km and her friend may have permanent kidney damage from the lap part of the seatbelt cutting in to her abdomen on impact. she's been in a lot of pain, spent nights in hospital and had to undergo so many tests. If she was properly restrained so that the lap part of the belt sat on her hips she wouldn't be going through this now. If a child has a seatbelt cutting across their neck in a car accident their neck takes the brunt of the force. Have you seen the bruises people get on their chest from the seatbelt after an accident? A seatbelt could break your child's neck. I am stumped as to why anyone would risk that just because the law says it's okay. I don't get it.

To the pp who was worried about her 9 year old DD...don't stress about it. My 8 1/2 year old is 24kg and almost all of her friends are heavier than she is. My DD is on the 25th percentile so it makes sense that most of her friends are heavier. The only friend that doesn't look healthy is her friend who is 5 months younger than her and weighs close to 50kg She's obese due to poor diet and she's starting to struggle to actively keep up with the other kids her age.
    I'm not risking anything! My ds is quite tall already so I'm sure it will be well and truelly safe for him to be in the car without a booster by the time he is 7. Besides which, we live in a small country town where we drive very little, the most we drive is to the shop or school being not even a 2 km distance but mostly we walk. In the 7 years we have lived here there hasn't been a car accident here. When travelling out of town driving to the nearest town 2 hours away or 4 wheel driving the booster will go in the car. Had I been living in the city I may be more concerned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    My DS1 turned 6 2 months ago and has heaps of room left to grow in his booster, he is 116cm (approx) and 19kg. He will be in it for at least another 2 or so years I'd imagine.

I dont believe in taking my kids out of their carseats just because they hit a certain age. If its safer for him to stay in a booster until he's 10, so be it. Whatever is safest is best.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (21-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not risking anything! My ds is quite tall already so I'm sure it will be well and truelly safe for him to be in the car without a booster by the time he is 7. Besides which, we live in a small country town where we drive very little, the most we drive is to the shop or school being not even a 2 km distance but mostly we walk. In the 7 years we have lived here there hasn't been a car accident here. When travelling out of town driving to the nearest town 2 hours away or 4 wheel driving the booster will go in the car. Had I been living in the city I may be more concerned.
    you know, we drive very little too. It just so happens that the majority of the things we need to access are walking or riding distance so that's what we do.
    However, did you know that 1 in 3 accidents occur within 1.6km from home? My daughter's friend, they were one street behind the school, in a quiet back street.
    It sounded like you were completely dismissing the test because the law doesn't tell you to follow it. Until the changes came in the law said a child only needed to be in a car restraint until they were 12 months old. Our car seat laws have improved tons, but they could be improved further and are behind compared to other countries. I have had quite a few of my 8 year old's friends tell me they don't need a booster seat anymore because they're too tall, and that may be true for the kids who drive around in small cars, but I've seen them in their SUV's with the seatbelt cutting across their neck as they wave to my kids on their way home from school. Probably their parents aren't aware of the test, and think that because their kid is over 7 they don't need a car seat anymore.

Your child, your choice (as you are the one who has to live with the guilt for the rest of your life if something else) but if your child needs a car seat to drive to the next town/city, then they still need to be in a booster close to home too. I just look at my daughter's friend and think how unfair it is that she might have permanent organ damage from something that could have been completely preventable.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (22-07-2014),~ElectricPink~  (21-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No idea, I just thought when they turned 7 you could move them out? My DD is 4, 23kg and 120cm - already she looks too big for a booster

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 7 and a half year old DS will probably still be in one for quite awhile yet!! He's only 120cm and 21kgs, so even though the "law" says that at his age he no longer requires a booster, he's a lot safer in one still.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I measured dd last night she's 131cm and 30kg so I'm waiting for her height to catch up she still doesn't look quite right without her booster. I think it's good that this thread has made people aware of the 5 step ready system it might not be legal to follow yet but it sure does make sense and comes from reliable sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app
    Last edited by Jensha; 22-07-2014 at 13:12.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jensha For This Useful Post:

Full House  (22-07-2014)