+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Preschool vs daycare

Hi mums, this is probably a stupid question but I am really not sure!
    What's the difference between preschool and daycare?
    Are the fees different?
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DS started 3 year old pre school this year for 2 days - I preferred it over the daycare places I looked at mainly as they only take 3-5 year olds and it's from 9am to 3.30 pm - plus they have to be toilet trained and provide food - I think daycare centres still have to provide the same or similar curriculums as pre schools so I think it's just the hours and ages of kids that's the difference ? mine is $65 for the day , I think day care is more expensive as it's longer hours?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've got my 4yo starting kindergarten (or preschool in some states) next year. Hours are 8.30-3 on a 5 day fortnight.

Daycare is for us is 6-6 and I pay 80/day per kid. They do have a kinder program at the daycare but after much consultation with family and friends my dd1 will do daycare 2 days a week next year and then kinder 5 days/fortnight.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Main differences that I'm aware of are preschools close during school holidays, and their hours are shorter, usually 9-3 or similar. Plus most preschools don't supply food so that kids can get used to opening lunch boxes etc. and you have to be toilet trained at preschool. Usually preschools are cheaper. Last year my eldest did daycare 2 days and preschool 2 days. The daycare was $77.50 day but I got rebate and the preschool was $32 day, but they only offer ccb, not ccr. However, the daycare supplied everything!

Most daycares offer a school readiness program where children who are starting school the following year are withdrawn and are taught things to prepare them for school.

Last year my daughter was in daycare 2 days and preschool 2 days. Both were really good.

My son will be going to a different daycare next year that's closer to home and they withdraw the preschool kids into another room from 9:30-2:30 with an early childhood teacher.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you ladies! That's very helpful! DS is 3.5 and I really need to get him to go to one or the other and I am struggling to decide which one might be better for him. I feel preschool is for kids who are more independent. He's shy but smart. He's never been to any classes or daycare before. He's very clingy to me and is afraid of going to school when we talk about it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have worked in both and think whilst there are some fabulous long day care services out there sometimes children who struggle with separation find it a little easier in Preschool, the days are shorter and I find staffing can be a bit more consistent.
    The best way to choose would be to visit services in your area and see what you like, compare what the cost will be to you after any subsidies and what hours would suit you best. Keep in mind preschools are registered care and long day care is approved care and the ccb rates are different (no CCR with preschool either)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

tubster  (21-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My three older kids have been to both daycare and kinder.. Kinder is only 2 or 3 days for 3 or 4 hour days and all kids around the same age.. Daycare is run usually 6am to 6pm Mon to Fri and you can choose the days/ amount of time etc like if you need to go to work.. My kids have never been in daycare full time but a few years a had two of them in daycare one full day ( 8am to 5pm) a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find preschool for my son is more structured in what they do than daycare. The days are shorter though. In SA kids do 15 hours a week at preschool (Kindy) and you have school holidays.
    It's a lot cheaper to do preschool - we pay $135 a term for preschool but daycare (a full day long care) is about $70 a day before any rebate/benefit.

Edited to also add that though they prefer your child to be toilet trained before starting preschool, they cant deny attendance based on that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimmie For This Useful Post:

tubster  (21-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummbearPapabearNCubs View Post
    My three older kids have been to both daycare and kinder.. Kinder is only 2 or 3 days for 3 or 4 hour days and all kids around the same age.. Daycare is run usually 6am to 6pm Mon to Fri and you can choose the days/ amount of time etc like if you need to go to work.. My kids have never been in daycare full time but a few years a had two of them in daycare one full day ( 8am to 5pm) a week.
    Not sure what state you're in but in nsw, preschool is 6 hours a day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I prefer pre school. Where my kids go it's 9-3 2 days a week for 3 year olds and 3 days for 4-5 year olds so all children there are the same age they are there the same days and hrs and it's cheaper then day care for now but I heard at the end of the year the government is pulling there funding and it's going to go up.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to our4boys For This Useful Post:

tubster  (21-07-2014)