+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 4yr constantly sick

I'm wanting everyone's thoughts please.

My 4yr DS is constantly sick. I know all children get sick but I'm talking every 3 or so weeks and to a point where he physically can't do anything for up to a week. I run a family daycare and none of the other younger children or even DD (3yrs) seem to get as sick as he does or as often as he does.

Approx 2 weeks ago the poor little thing came down with a cold that turned into broncilitius, he had one healthy week and now this week a viral infection that the hospital thought was appendicitis at first as he had stomach pain which has turned into cold like symptoms with an ear infection. In the lady 3 months I have lost count how many times he had been sick if I was to guess it would be around 5-6, nearly every second week.

Since December he actually hasn't put on any weight as he keeps getting sick and all the weight he does put on he loses again. When he gets any sort of illness his temp sits around 39.5 and he won't eat, we have to push to get him to sips fluids and is generally like this for min 4 days. And if it is anything that causes a cough like broncilitius then he will cough until he throws up.

I'm at a loss to what I can do to help him. In the past 2 months we have cut down on a lot of his outside the home activities just to try to keep him away for lots of germs but it's not helping. He is great at washing his hands etc, he takes a kids multivitamin everyday. I'm not sure what else I can do. It's killing me seeing my little man so sick so often. :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Someone else might know what exactly but is there something you can do/give to boost the immune system?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nutra Organics children's superfood powders will boost his immune system. They are fantastic!! And taste great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I hear you. My Ds has been sick for the last 2 months (on / off), the worst was this week when he caught the Flu.
    He has lost weight, he's a skinny little man now.
    The GP said, think of it as a way he's immunising himself. (I secretly wanted to slap that GP)
    I've recently started Ds on a multivitamin too, I'm not sure if it will help.
    I know that being inside with other young children (eg, playgroup, kinder) can increase the spread of viruses because you're in a warm environment the bugs love and in close contact with each other.
    Being outside in the fresh air is really good, only however once there're better because their bodies need warmth to recover.
    Next week when Ds is hopefully over this flu (day 8 and getting over the cough), I'm planning to rug him up nice and warm and go outside.
    It's hard. I feel like I'm doing something wrong.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 19-07-2014 at 23:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinning View Post
    Nutra Organics children's superfood powders will boost his immune system. They are fantastic!! And taste great
    Where do you buy them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like a pharmacy or health food store item. Google will know

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm a big believer in pro biotics and vitamin D for adults and kids - the pro biotics to improve your gut health which is related to your immune system ( especially if you have been on antibiotics) and the vitamin D helps fight infections - DS has been on both since I stopped breastfeeding at 5 months

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (19-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies, I will definitely be going out today to get some of the things suggested.

So does everyone think this is normal then?

I was worried there might be something else wrong that keeps causing him to be sick so often .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It depends - some kids are prone to illness - I would just watch his diet and look out for any intolerances ( wheat and dairy intolerances can sometimes be to blame - does he eat these a lot ?) if it continues after winter I would see a naturopath or your GP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD was getting recurrent tonsillitis and ear infections from when she was about 2 until we got her tonsils out at 4.

I only wanted the surgery if is was really necessary. I had her on a probiotic, fish oil and multi but whenever there was a cough or cold going around she would catch it, it would develop into some kind of infection with high fevers and require antibiotics.

In the 2 years since the tonsillectomy she has caught maybe 4 colds, they last a couple of days with maybe 1 day off school. The change in her health is amazing! She doesn't even take a multi now.

It sounds like there could be an underlying issue causing him to get so sick all the time. I would start taking him to the doctor each time he gets a fever so they can diagnose the exact cause. Then you can see if there is a pattern and look into what to do from there.