+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,688
    Thanks
    4,822
    Thanked
    2,373
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Is anyone lonely during pregnancy?

    I haven't been anywhere or done anything for months! I do want to socialise but I don't want to get caught up being designated driver or just bring left out because I'm not drinking, not looking to hook up and I can't meet for a meal because I can't fit much in and am trying to save as much as I can.
    Any tips to stop isolating myself? Did anyone else feel the same?
    TIA.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,650
    Thanks
    792
    Thanked
    672
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't have any tips but I felt exactly the same. Due to health complications and moving interstate I felt very isolated and lonely. Dh would go to work and then out to places with mates and unless I wanted to be around drinking men, there wasn't really any time that I got to socialize.

    For me unfortunately it hasn't really changed since having bubs either.

    Gbh

    Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to munchkin275 For This Useful Post:

    Chillies  (19-07-2014)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    2,247
    Thanks
    441
    Thanked
    1,522
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Could you invite people over? Might be a cheap solution to your loneliness problems. Board games night!?

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

    #Mama  (19-07-2014),Chillies  (19-07-2014)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,309
    Thanks
    661
    Thanked
    1,194
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I know exactly what you mean @Chillies. I try not to deliberately isolate myself but because I have gestational diabetes it's hard for me to go out for a meal without compromising on what I'd really like to be eating. I just don't see the point TBH. DH and I have been out to dinner (and just somewhere local and casual) maybe twice since I got pregnant. I'm also at the point where I get really tired at night so it's not my preferred time to catch up with people.

    I have to make a conscious effort to go out a couple of times a week and catch up with people. I usually opt for morning/afternoon tea/coffee, either at the park with kids or at a cafe. That way, it's still social but it's not a big deal if I just have a small snack and it doesn't cost that much, not like going out to lunch/dinner. You also don't have the problem of being designated driver for a mid-morning/afternoon catch up.

    I don't really mind my own company - during this pregnancy I've read a lot of books and am part way through knitting bubba a baby blanket - but, yes, it's also good to get out of the house and keep in touch with other people.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

    Chillies  (19-07-2014)

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bayswater North Vic
    Posts
    986
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked
    124
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I hated a lot of people while I was pregnant. No real reason, they just annoyed me so much.

    Just having quiet lunch with a girlfriend was what I liked to do more than anything

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lolakitty For This Useful Post:

    Chillies  (19-07-2014)

  10. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,688
    Thanks
    4,822
    Thanked
    2,373
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkin275 View Post
    I don't have any tips but I felt exactly the same. Due to health complications and moving interstate I felt very isolated and lonely. Dh would go to work and then out to places with mates and unless I wanted to be around drinking men, there wasn't really any time that I got to socialize.

    For me unfortunately it hasn't really changed since having bubs either.

    Gbh

    Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I'm so sorry to read munchkin! DH and I had a discussion about this a few weeks ago. I'm all for him socialising but not if he thinks it's okay to drink all night then not do jobs the next day and avoid doing them because of work. Sucks :/

  11. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,688
    Thanks
    4,822
    Thanked
    2,373
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Best Things View Post
    Could you invite people over? Might be a cheap solution to your loneliness problems. Board games night!?
    That is a good idea but my problem is, the ppl I want to socialize with are drinkers and would not come over. It would be more of a headache. I do go to friends places but it ends up being about the baby and them saying how they're glad it's not then pregnant! Sigh (maybe I need new friends lol).

  12. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,688
    Thanks
    4,822
    Thanked
    2,373
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat74 View Post
    I know exactly what you mean @Chillies. I try not to deliberately isolate myself but because I have gestational diabetes it's hard for me to go out for a meal without compromising on what I'd really like to be eating. I just don't see the point TBH. DH and I have been out to dinner (and just somewhere local and casual) maybe twice since I got pregnant. I'm also at the point where I get really tired at night so it's not my preferred time to catch up with people.

    I have to make a conscious effort to go out a couple of times a week and catch up with people. I usually opt for morning/afternoon tea/coffee, either at the park with kids or at a cafe. That way, it's still social but it's not a big deal if I just have a small snack and it doesn't cost that much, not like going out to lunch/dinner. You also don't have the problem of being designated driver for a mid-morning/afternoon catch up.

    I don't really mind my own company - during this pregnancy I've read a lot of books and am part way through knitting bubba a baby blanket - but, yes, it's also good to get out of the house and keep in touch with other people.
    I've been reading a lot too and funnily enough I've started you tubing how to crochet to fill in my time. I kind of die in the ar5e at night too. My other issue is I work full time so I can't socialise during the day and on weekends is the only time I see hubby so I spend that time with him before he goes back to work. Maybe I could take exercise classes?? A thought out of no where lol.

  13. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,688
    Thanks
    4,822
    Thanked
    2,373
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolakitty View Post
    I hated a lot of people while I was pregnant. No real reason, they just annoyed me so much.

    Just having quiet lunch with a girlfriend was what I liked to do more than anything
    I just find it's awkward to make a discussion work now because I basically work and go home. The other person can only contribute so much about them before the conversation turns to the baby and I don't want to tell ppl much because it seems that's an opportunity for them to give sh!t advice. I do catch up with two friends but I'm bored with that too

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,309
    Thanks
    661
    Thanked
    1,194
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillies View Post
    Maybe I could take exercise classes?? A thought out of no where lol.
    Pregnancy yoga class? An opportunity to meet other mums-to-be as well as getting more flexible for the birth?

    I think if I was working full time that would be it for me, I'd never see anyone else. DH and I enjoy spending the weekends together too and have tried not to plan too much catching up with other people because, given that we have my SS every second weekend, we only have a few weekends where it's just the two of us - either to hang out or to get stuff ready for the new baby.

    I feel a bit like time is running out for me so I am definitely trying to enjoy the peace and quiet while I still can.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

    Chillies  (21-07-2014)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Do you ever get lonely?
    By gamermummy in forum General depression and blues
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 30-10-2014, 22:17
  2. A little bit lonely...
    By MrsHoward in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-09-2013, 05:25
  3. never alone but lonely....
    By lexiemum in forum Feeling alone
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-08-2013, 10:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
The Fix Program Sydney CBD and Broadway
Pregnancy and women's health physio, pregnancy and new mum Pilates classes taught by our physios for you and bub. Pregnancy back and pelvic pain. Also, we treat postnatal and women of all ages. Incontinence, prolapse, sexual and pelvic pain.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!