+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I cook with garlic almost every day plus supplement with Vit C.
    This winter I started to take Zinc supplements (immune booster) but I lost the tablets (not sure how really!) so I need to get some more.
    If I get a cold I take echinacea with garlic tablets, have manuka honey (just straight off a spoon), and drink lots of water.
    If my nose is really stuffy I make a mix of salty water, pour bits in to my hand, tip my head sideways and snort it (you could use a netti pot, but I don't have one of those). I keep my head sideways for 30 seconds or so before holding my head forward and blowing my nose. Repeat on the other side. It depends on how stuffy my nose is as to how many times I do this over the course of a day but it breaks up all the mucus and I have a clear nose for a certain amount of time (anything from 1 hr to half a day, depending on how much congestion there is) and my nose is much clearer the next day. I can't take cold and flu tablets (allergic to them), so do the salt water trick so I'm not blowing my nose every 2 seconds all day.

This works really well for me and I rarely get colds (a mild one every 18 months or so).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemarlin View Post
    I work at an airport and am constantly coming into contact with foreign colds and flus. The best thing that my workmates got me onto is "sambucol".

Now hear me out because I'm not normally into berry extracts and such, but this actually works!

It is a black elderberry extract and has been found to stop the cold virus from attaching to your healthy cells, meaning it can't multiply and doesn't progress to a full blown cold. I always take a tablespoon day and night when I'm feeling a bit under the weather and the symptoms just disappear.

You can buy from the chemist. I haven't had a cold since I started using It in December.
    Might have to give that a try open to anything to help haha !! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Add some raw cauliflower , capsicum and kale to your salads - you won't even notice the kale and raw cauliflower is yum !
    Great idea thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    I cook with garlic almost every day plus supplement with Vit C.
    This winter I started to take Zinc supplements (immune booster) but I lost the tablets (not sure how really!) so I need to get some more.
    If I get a cold I take echinacea with garlic tablets, have manuka honey (just straight off a spoon), and drink lots of water.
    If my nose is really stuffy I make a mix of salty water, pour bits in to my hand, tip my head sideways and snort it (you could use a netti pot, but I don't have one of those). I keep my head sideways for 30 seconds or so before holding my head forward and blowing my nose. Repeat on the other side. It depends on how stuffy my nose is as to how many times I do this over the course of a day but it breaks up all the mucus and I have a clear nose for a certain amount of time (anything from 1 hr to half a day, depending on how much congestion there is) and my nose is much clearer the next day. I can't take cold and flu tablets (allergic to them), so do the salt water trick so I'm not blowing my nose every 2 seconds all day.

This works really well for me and I rarely get colds (a mild one every 18 months or so).
    Thanks ! I'm SO stuffy! But the thought of liquid up my nose scares me hahaha I even hate nasal spray.. But maybe I should try it for some relief

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmPowering View Post
    Thanks ! I'm SO stuffy! But the thought of liquid up my nose scares me hahaha I even hate nasal spray.. But maybe I should try it for some relief
    Just make sure your head is tilted to the side and back a bit...that way the salt water will run down the back of your throat, and not give you that awful feeling you get when you get your water up your nose when you're swimming. I have never used a nasal spray.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    When I feel like I'm getting a cold I make this concoction!!

Grate or crush 5/6 cloves of garlic
    Grated a big nob of ginger

Boil this in a cup or two of water for 5 minutes.

Pour into a mug, add a big squeeze of lemon and a tablespoon of honey (Manuka honey is best but normal honey will work too)

Drink it hot.

You can strain out the garlic and ginger pieces if you want but don't have to.

I find it works a treat to not make my cold symptoms any worse. I also find having it before bed works best as your body has all the goodness while resting.
    This is exactly what I do. I'll actually make a big batch and drink it several times a day while I'm sick with cough/cold. I do think it shortens the length of time that you have the symptoms. Really great for a sore throat!