+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There has been studies about Vit C and cold that showed that taking vitamin c everyday for all year has close to no impact on whether you catch a cold or not.

I still take it everyday in winter though cause that is what my mum did with us when we were kids

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

EmPowering  (19-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Wow interesting to hear!! So I'm better off eating a lot of kiwis/oranges etc than the vitamin C tablets ??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I feel like I'm getting a cold I make this concoction!!

Grate or crush 5/6 cloves of garlic
    Grated a big nob of ginger

Boil this in a cup or two of water for 5 minutes.

Pour into a mug, add a big squeeze of lemon and a tablespoon of honey (Manuka honey is best but normal honey will work too)

Drink it hot.

You can strain out the garlic and ginger pieces if you want but don't have to.

I find it works a treat to not make my cold symptoms any worse. I also find having it before bed works best as your body has all the goodness while resting.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

EmPowering  (19-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EmPowering View Post
    Wow interesting to hear!! So I'm better off eating a lot of kiwis/oranges etc than the vitamin C tablets ??
    You are but even we don't eat 11 kiwis a day and that's what you would need to eat to get 1000mg! We aim for 500mg from food and 1 tablet a day in winter - it can't stop colds but it's great for immune building and general well being!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

EmPowering  (19-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    You are but even we don't eat 11 kiwis a day and that's what you would need to eat to get 1000mg! We aim for 500mg from food and 1 tablet a day in winter - it can't stop colds but it's great for immune building and general well being!
    Thank you so for the 500mg a day you would get from food.. What would that usually include for you?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EmPowering For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (19-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    When I feel like I'm getting a cold I make this concoction!!

Grate or crush 5/6 cloves of garlic
    Grated a big nob of ginger

Boil this in a cup or two of water for 5 minutes.

Pour into a mug, add a big squeeze of lemon and a tablespoon of honey (Manuka honey is best but normal honey will work too)

Drink it hot.

You can strain out the garlic and ginger pieces if you want but don't have to.

I find it works a treat to not make my cold symptoms any worse. I also find having it before bed works best as your body has all the goodness while resting.
    Going to try this tonight before bed thank you!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EmPowering For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (19-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so for the 500mg a day you would get from food.. What would that usually include for you?
    We aim for 2-3 serves of fruit ( in winter it's mainly kiwi, mandarins and berries) and 5 veggies ( broccoli, kale, cauliflower are great sources) plus salad veggies and fresh herbs have small amounts but it all adds up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    We aim for 2-3 serves of fruit ( in winter it's mainly kiwi, mandarins and berries) and 5 veggies ( broccoli, kale, cauliflower are great sources) plus salad veggies and fresh herbs have small amounts but it all adds up!
    Thankyou def have my fruit intake covered every day but think I need to up my vege intake.. Find it hard to use so many veggies in lunch and dinner.. Usually just have salad for lunch with chicken or tuna. Gues can add more veggies to that

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work at an airport and am constantly coming into contact with foreign colds and flus. The best thing that my workmates got me onto is "sambucol".

Now hear me out because I'm not normally into berry extracts and such, but this actually works!

It is a black elderberry extract and has been found to stop the cold virus from attaching to your healthy cells, meaning it can't multiply and doesn't progress to a full blown cold. I always take a tablespoon day and night when I'm feeling a bit under the weather and the symptoms just disappear.

You can buy from the chemist. I haven't had a cold since I started using It in December.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bluemarlin For This Useful Post:

EmPowering  (19-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou def have my fruit intake covered every day but think I need to up my vege intake.. Find it hard to use so many veggies in lunch and dinner.. Usually just have salad for lunch with chicken or tuna. Gues can add more veggies to that
    Add some raw cauliflower , capsicum and kale to your salads - you won't even notice the kale and raw cauliflower is yum !