+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Cold remedies/what vitamin?

So I work with kids so feel like I'm constantly catching every cold and illness. I have been pretty lucky to not be sick a while but now it's hit me bad.

So what is the best vitamins to take
    The list I've been told is

-multivitamin
    -garlic
    -horseradish
    -vitamin C
    -zinc
    -olive leaf extract
    -oregano oil
    -echinacea

So what helps you? Obviously not wanting to take every vitamin under the sun but none really seem to help too much to prevent it
    I know I can't do too much now while sick except to rest and drink fluids but wanting to know what works for YOU best to best prevent illness

I try and eat healthy, lots of fruit and veg
    I exercise daily
    Getting enough sleep lately

Help !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I'm not sure if I really believe taking natural remedies helps but my Mum takes Esberitox every day during cold and flu season and rarely gets sick. She was recommended it by her friend who has been taking it every winter for years and swears by it.

http://www.aspenhealth.com.au/product/esberitox/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

EmPowering  (19-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    If I start to get a sore throat I mix about a 1/4 tsp cinnamon with a tsp of honey and eat it. Do this 2-3 times a day and usually within a day or 2 the sore throat is gone and I don't get any worse.

Once I have a cold, I make a hot drink with lemon, honey, and cinnamon which I find really helps sore throats and coughs.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

EmPowering  (19-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    I'm not sure if I really believe taking natural remedies helps but my Mum takes Esberitox every day during cold and flu season and rarely gets sick. She was recommended it by her friend who has been taking it every winter for years and swears by it.

http://www.aspenhealth.com.au/product/esberitox/
    Might have to look into something like this thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by summastarlet View Post
    If I start to get a sore throat I mix about a 1/4 tsp cinnamon with a tsp of honey and eat it. Do this 2-3 times a day and usually within a day or 2 the sore throat is gone and I don't get any worse.

Once I have a cold, I make a hot drink with lemon, honey, and cinnamon which I find really helps sore throats and coughs.
    For once it's not the sore throat.. Which it usually is for me. It's just SO clogged up and stuffy and sneezy. Have stood in steamy shower for a while but notbibg will help it budge. Blowing my nose like crazy.. Not fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by summastarlet View Post

Might try the drink anyway if I can find some lemon

Thanks
    Reviews
    My naturopath says our family should get enough vitamins and minerals from our diet but we do add:

Vitamin C - you really can't get enough! Even eating 7 fruit and veg a day you will get about 300mg so we take another 500mg tablet in winter ( up to 1000mg is still considered quite safe ) and it can't be stored in your body so you need it daily

Vitamin D - we also take fish oil daily , immune boosting vitamin D plus omegas

DS also has a pro biotic daily

We also cook a lot with ginger, garlic and fresh herbs and eat a mix of raw and cooked veggies - touch wood none of us have been sick this winter yet

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

EmPowering  (19-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks yes I've been doing the vitamin C daily on top of diet but guess not enough haha!!

Thanks will look into vitamin D too

Thanks
    Reviews
    On of the best fruits is Kiwis (gold or green). They have more vitamin C than an orange, more potassium than a banana & about 50 more things I can't remember right now. If I'm feeling a cold coming on I always eat loads & seem to usually get by.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Legeyt For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (19-07-2014),EmPowering  (19-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gold kiwis have 30mg more vitamin c (90mg) than the green ones (60mg)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

EmPowering  (19-07-2014)