+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Kids Can't Play on their own!!!

I have 3 kids. They're all under 6. They cannot play without me for even 10 minutes. Even if they are playing together, they constantly stop to talk to me instead of each other. If it's not that they're fighting and needing me to intervene. Far out! I don't remember ever needing to play with my mum, I had brothers and sisters to play with!

Anyone else have kids like this? Tips on getting a half hour stretch?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

79me  (19-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you play with them heaps when they were smaller?
    At the risk of sounding like a bad mother I never played lots with mine. They have rarely asked me to play with them now they are older. I do, but not lots.
    Can you get some toys they could play with together? They are pretty young, I guess they will play together a bit more as they get older. There's a 4 yr gap between my daughters so I guess the eldest one has always been the leader for playing together.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

79me  (19-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, played a lot with them. Still do obviously but I just expected them to grow out of needing me so much! Hopefully they will soon...I'd love a half hour to potter around and get washing done etc with my fan club. ;-). I'll miss them when they decide I'm boring I'm sure!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A bit left of field but I read an article similar to this one (http://www.mamanatural.com/how-to-ra...w-media-child/) about self-directed play. Have a read, it might help :-)
    Last edited by JR03; 19-07-2014 at 11:50.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (19-07-2014),debsch  (19-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    I have 3 kids. They're all under 6. They cannot play without me for even 10 minutes. Even if they are playing together, they constantly stop to talk to me instead of each other. If it's not that they're fighting and needing me to intervene. Far out! I don't remember ever needing to play with my mum, I had brothers and sisters to play with!

Anyone else have kids like this? Tips on getting a half hour stretch?
    This is my life. I can't get any thing done.

My fault for being too much fun to be around I think! Sounds like you're the same.

Hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    A bit left of field but I read an article similar to this one (http://www.mamanatural.com/how-to-ra...w-media-child/) about self-directed play. Have a read, it might help :-)
    Thanks for posting, I found that quite inspiring in terms of setting things up better for DS.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

JR03  (19-07-2014)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yeah I'm very big on kids playing on their own! What works for me is to let the kids direct where they want to play, then set them up and play with them (always letting them lead) for a while. While I'm doing that I'm fully engaged, I'm not listening to the radio or looking at my phone or tidying up the room- they have my undivided attention. Depending on what it is, that will go for anywhere between 10-30 minutes, then I tell them I need to go and do something, or that I'm going to read my book now and leave them to it. In your case I'd probably say 'I'm just going to make a cup of coffee/start dinner' and leave the room for 10 minutes at a time, then gradually increase that time.

Also Lego. Lego is the best.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (19-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids are happy to play together but I've got buckleys of getting DD2 to do anything apart from follow me around when her big sister is at school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 8 and he's a disaster, cannot spend 1 min on his own! Even if we allow him to use the computer he is forever wanting us to watch or do it with him. I am lost with him, nothing holds his attention or interest long. DD is 4, she has days when she will play for ages on her own and days where she won't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids always want me to play with them. Dd is worse. Probably was because i used to always play with them. I am stepping back a bit more now and leaving them to it while i do cooking, cleaning etc. If I need a break I also let them watch telly.