+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sydney primary school for gifted

We have taken DS to an educational psychologist, and she has suggested that his needs might be better served at a different school than he currently attends. Before starting school his iq tested 140. He is currently in K and he has undergone a different iq test as part of an assessment to explore possible 2e issues. His IQ has tested 150. The assessment of possible ADHD is not finished. His school is not overly concerned with his behaviour at the moment, so he is not having serious behaviour issues or anything. We are debating trying to continue working with his current school with new results when finished or trying another school. My husband likes the idea of moving somewhere else just for a change.

His current school seems open to working with us, but they don't have any specific support for gifted or teachers with specific training or experience in gifted education. If we can find a school that looks like it would be a better fit, we will consider moving, otherwise we will continue to work with his current school. Our main concern with the current school is that he does not seem to be getting work targeted at his current level. But he is only in Kindy, maybe they will be able to cater better as he gets older?

Does anyone know of or have experience with schools that are a good fit for gifted students?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can't help with NSW info. From my experience though in foundation year (Kindy/Prep/Pre-Primary) they usually focus on ensuring all children get the basics to prepare them for year 1. For some kids this is the first year they've spent any time away from the home.

Once in year 1 though, there is a massive increase in catering to the individual and moving away from the basics.

If you have no luck finding a nearby gifted school and if you like his current school, I would wait until at least half way through year 1 before deciding if it's worth a lot of travel to a specific school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks stretched. I am leaning toward the idea of working with his current school. I do like the school and all the staff I have interacted with so far. And I think my son likes the school for the most part so far too. I guess we will watch carefully in year 1 and see how things go if we do stay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is in kindy and his literacy and numeracy skills are at a yr 2 level. He attends the local state school. They have been quite proactive in giving him extension work, he goes to a 1/2 class 4 mornings a week for literacy and he gets maths work at his level. The school has a gifted and talented committee which I think helps. It might be worth your while to ring around other schools in your area and ask what they have in place for gifted kids, there might be one that takes more of an interest in it than others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a good point oscmin. It is hard to tell from a lot of the state schools websites about G&T since most of them just have the standard info from the dec website, but I should get a better idea from ringing them. We are also waiting for some achievement test results for DS that should give us an idea of the level he is operating in math and reading. If the school takes this on board than we might be best off continuing to work with them, but if they do not, then I guess it might be time to look elsewhere.