+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Bitten off more than I can chew!

So, I think I have bitten off more than I can chew......however I must make this work and be wonderful. So I would love some tips etc....

My DD has recently turned 10 and is having a party in just over a week. So she is having a party (that will go for most of a day).

Her school friends are coming from 10am-12pm. My parents will also be here then. Total of about 13-14 (at the most, rsvp tomorrow and still waiting ).

My parents, some close friends (of her choosing), her best friend and her family are then staying (or coming) for a BBQ lunch/afternoon. Total...adults= 10, kids= 5.

So she has picked her theme pink and red polka dots. We have a cake which I am going to make a cake and cupcakes within the same theme. So that the kids can have the cupcakes and that leaves the cake for afternoon tea/dessert.

Ahhhhhh, I am feeling overwhelmed. I am not a fan of having people at my house and yet here I am . I am not a fan of parties really. My mother is coming and she stresses me out.

I mostly need ideas of food for both and party games. Anything to make it easier.

Help......please

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    that is a lot to cope with

- games - I recently had a loom band party for my DD. The local newsagent had loom kits for $6 so I bought each kid a kit (but was originally just going to buy a few bags of bands as they do them on their fingers. And some pony beads from the $2 shop

- otherwise - musical bobs (or statues), pass the parcel, a limbo contest, a treasure hunt (if you have room ... or go to your local park)

Food
    remember mostly the kids like the basic stuff
    - fairy bread.
    - wafer bikkies and those iced bikkies
    - buy a sponge cake and put jam and cream (or a swiss roll)

- snaggers on the barbie for both kids and adults

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (17-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, fairy bread! I had forgotten about that.
    I have got my brain in such a tizz that I can't think straight.

For the kids my idea so far was
    -fruit (she has asked for strawberries, grapes and apple).
    -pizza scrolls (very easy puff pastry)
    -Fairy bread (thank you)
    -sausage rolls and sauce
    -assorted lollies
    -hommus and crackers

DD has asked for eating donuts off a string and a memory game (with things on a tray or something). Might do statues as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would-

- Instead of making cupcakes I would have a cupcake station. I would have pink and red buttercream with an array of toppings.

- You could make watermelon and strawberry fruit skewers. Piled up these look amazing!

- Little quiches, mini pike-lets, finger sandwiches, mini hotdogs (red sausages in dinner rolls) red punch?

- I would keep the them to a polka dot table cloth and cake with plain pink and red napkins and cups. Could you get paper lanterns in red and pink to string along a wall?

- Maybe ask the guests to wear pink or red tops? Can the girls participate in karaoke? Sing star on play station is fun. Maybe a little 'photo' booth with some corny props? Give them a digital camera and let rip.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquillah For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (17-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquillah View Post
    I would-

- Instead of making cupcakes I would have a cupcake station. I would have pink and red buttercream with an array of toppings.

- You could make watermelon and strawberry fruit skewers. Piled up these look amazing!

- Little quiches, mini pike-lets, finger sandwiches, mini hotdogs (red sausages in dinner rolls) red punch?

- I would keep the them to a polka dot table cloth and cake with plain pink and red napkins and cups. Could you get paper lanterns in red and pink to string along a wall?

- Maybe ask the guests to wear pink or red tops? Can the girls participate in karaoke? Sing star on play station is fun. Maybe a little 'photo' booth with some corny props? Give them a digital camera and let rip.
    Thank you!
    Photo booth will be coming up!!
    Will ask DD about singstar, as we have it but she doesn't really like it. If all else fails there is always Minecraft

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    if you are making cupcakes - making them in icecream cones (you know the cup ones that stand up) works really well and looks cool

and for fruit - fruit skewers are always popular

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (17-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Staples at my kids parties include:

cocktail franks
    party pies and sausage rolls
    mini spring rolls
    fairy bread
    sandwiches for the adults
    a dip platter for the adults - I have strips of celery and carrot that I soak overnight in water to make them extra crispy. Dip, bickies, rice bickies, cheese, cabanossi.
    cupcakes - usually topped with rice paper with the theme
    other baked goods

For games:

pass the parcel - for my younger DS... although my DD and her 10yo friends happily joined with this year with it
    I often hire a jumping castle or the like
    pin the tail on the donkey - again probably suited to younger kids.

I find the older ones just like unstructured play.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (17-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    If you can, order in! I live rurally and love making my own stuff but my city BFF just orders in platters of stuff - sweet or savoury - so easy! Mixed platters of sushi and rice paper rolls, mixed platters of mini quiches, party pies and sausage rolls, mixed platters of sweets - macarons, slices, tarts etc...

As for games/activites, my DD is turning nine this year and she'd just love to do makeovers with her friends and paint each others nails...and then watch icarly!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (17-07-2014)