+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    Oh wow @HarvestMoon thank you! I'll keep that in mind for sure What nursing course were you studying? You're still studying now aren't you? You must have changed courses, didn't you like nursing? (Sorry for all the qs, I'm just curious to hear people's experiences, ignore me if you want lol)
    I was studying the EEN course at TAFE. I dropped out about 3/4 of the way through. I just couldn't handle it. It's such a nasty, horrible industry. Bullying is rife! You cop it everywhere- on prac, at TAFE from your teachers... there is no support what so ever. If you didn't understand something you were made to feel stupid.. actually, it was practically said. We were all forever told that we weren't working at the level we should be, that we should know certain things relating to the nursing profession, etc.. yet many of us had no nursing experience what so ever.
    I was constantly belittled and made to feel like sh!t. I think we all were. Some just took it better than others. A few made complaints about the bullying being perpetrated by our course coordinator ( main teacher), nothing ever came of it though.
    Unfortunately I slipped into a very depressed state. I could barely make it through a day without crying. Getting out of bed each morning to face tafe or the hospital filled me with dread. I was so unhappy. I think you need to be a really emotionally strong person to make it in that industry. There will be bullying, *****iness, gossip, etc.. all to the extreme. If you can cope with that you will be alright. I just couldn't.

Now I'm studying a bachelor of commerce and I'm much happier. The lecturers, tutors, other students are all so nice, helpful, and supportive. I'm definitely much happier now. My only regret would be jumping straight into the EEN course. I wish I had of done an AIN course as a taster first. It would have been less money and time wasted.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (29-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I was studying the EEN course at TAFE. I dropped out about 3/4 of the way through. I just couldn't handle it. It's such a nasty, horrible industry. Bullying is rife! You cop it everywhere- on prac, at TAFE from your teachers... there is no support what so ever. If you didn't understand something you were made to feel stupid.. actually, it was practically said. We were all forever told that we weren't working at the level we should be, that we should know certain things relating to the nursing profession, etc.. yet many of us had no nursing experience what so ever.
    I was constantly belittled and made to feel like sh!t. I think we all were. Some just took it better than others. A few made complaints about the bullying being perpetrated by our course coordinator ( main teacher), nothing ever came of it though.
    Unfortunately I slipped into a very depressed state. I could barely make it through a day without crying. Getting out of bed each morning to face tafe or the hospital filled me with dread. I was so unhappy. I think you need to be a really emotionally strong person to make it in that industry. There will be bullying, *****iness, gossip, etc.. all to the extreme. If you can cope with that you will be alright. I just couldn't.

Now I'm studying a bachelor of commerce and I'm much happier. The lecturers, tutors, other students are all so nice, helpful, and supportive. I'm definitely much happier now. My only regret would be jumping straight into the EEN course. I wish I had of done an AIN course as a taster first. It would have been less money and time wasted.

I had a similar experience while studying eens at tafe, almost dropped out if it wasn't for the support of the class. The teachers were disgusting! It is a really jam packed full on course with little support I can't believe at times I got through it!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chickenfoot83 For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (29-07-2014)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh yikes that sounds awful! I'm sorry you've both had such horrible experiences. I kinda knew there was a bit of that reputation about nursing but I hadn't thought about it in the study phase. I've worked in bishy places before and it can be bloody awful. One place was a dominantly female call centre and it was baaaad, I was so glad to leave. The other was a high-end furniture store where the staff considered themselves a cut above, that was bad too but not as bad as the call centre just because there were less of them I think. As a SAHM I've come across my share of bishy mums too, at playgroup and in the schoolyard. It's hard to deal with, I wonder if my skin is thick enough to deal with it. Hmmm...

I'm about to apply to two tafes so I will most definitely keep an eye out for any vibes. I wonder if uni would be any different, I've found one uni I can apply to as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    Oh yikes that sounds awful! I'm sorry you've both had such horrible experiences. I kinda knew there was a bit of that reputation about nursing but I hadn't thought about it in the study phase. I've worked in bishy places before and it can be bloody awful. One place was a dominantly female call centre and it was baaaad, I was so glad to leave. The other was a high-end furniture store where the staff considered themselves a cut above, that was bad too but not as bad as the call centre just because there were less of them I think. As a SAHM I've come across my share of bishy mums too, at playgroup and in the schoolyard. It's hard to deal with, I wonder if my skin is thick enough to deal with it. Hmmm...

I'm about to apply to two tafes so I will most definitely keep an eye out for any vibes. I wonder if uni would be any different, I've found one uni I can apply to as well.
    I think uni is better in the long run. You might have the *****iness still but at least you will have a different teacher for each subject. Chances are you are more likely to have some nicer ones in the mix. You can start off PT if you just want to get a feel for things too.
    There seems to be far more support at a university level, which I found really surprising. Would have thought TAFE would have been that way inclined.
    Uni is more financially feasible too. Your degree might cost about $30k but studying at TAFE will still land you about $19k in HELP debt ones all the fees are added on. If you become and EEN then decide to upgrade your qualification you will still need to do 2 and a bit years of uni which will come in close to the full $30k too.

Have you considered doing an AIN course? It will give you a feel for the industry, gives you the ability to work as as an AIN while studying your EEN/RN, can also be used for entry to uni. If you have any uncertainty, I reckon that is the best way to start off.
    People don't relise how bad it can be. I was naive and oblivious to the reality of it all when I started too. It was a massive shock to be confronted with all that I was. I warned a friend about it all but she thought she could handle it... she ended up dropping out like me.
    If you are 100% sure you want to do it and can handle it, you should go ahead and do so but if you have any doubt at all, consider everything before you commit. I don't want you to make the same mistake I did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Uni is my preference but I'm limited because I've never studied in Australia so have no ATAR score, no education history that they can assess me on and so most of the local uni courses won't accept an application. So if I can't get into the one uni course I can apply for then I have to get there via tafe. I really don't want to work as an ain, I don't think I could handle the work.

I wonder if it varies much between tafes. You're not in Melbourne I'm pretty sure @HarvestMoon. Might have a chat with you about this off forum, I know where to find you (oh dear does that sound stalkerish??!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Haha. . I just saw this! I wasn't keen on the idea of AIN work either but when you actually see it in action it's not all that bad. If you work in a private hospital you tend to do as the nurses do minus medication and wound care. When I was on prac there were a few nursing students working there as AIN's. Some even got jobs at the end of their courses.

I think it's called cert. 3 in HSA (health service assistance?), with that course you tend to do your prac in a hospital as opposed to aged care but you still finish up as an AIN.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So tell me about pracs then @HarvestMoon, how much time did you spend doing them, and what was involved?

I wonder how hard it is to find work in a private hosp as opposed to aged care. I *really* don't want to do that, I take my hat off to those that do that work but it's just not for me