+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are interested in health and possibly office admin. What about a job as a ward clerk or medical receptionist. The best of both worlds!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can speak from experience in applying for medical receptionist roles. You definitely need experience. I have 8 years doing outpatients reception and call Centre work and even I can't get a medical admin job!! I know work in a government department call Centre casually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Truffle View Post
    If you are interested in health and possibly office admin. What about a job as a ward clerk or medical receptionist. The best of both worlds!
    That's a good idea. I work in a hospital and they often employ ward clerks without formal training related to the position. There's a ward clerk at work who is also an AIN; she does shifts in both roles which she enjoys.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    OMG so many choices! My head is spinning (but don't stop with the suggestions)
    @ProudMumma34 that's exactly what I'm afraid of. I've been looking at job ads and it's all experience experience experience. I dread sinking $$$ & time into study and then not be able to get work.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

ProudMumma34  (19-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    OMG so many choices! My head is spinning (but don't stop with the suggestions)
    @ProudMumma34 that's exactly what I'm afraid of. I've been looking at job ads and it's all experience experience experience. I dread sinking $$$ & time into study and then not be able to get work.
    Could you get a blue card and volunteer at your local community centre doing something you're passionate about and then if you really enjoy it you can look at schooling and qualifications?

You don't even have to be that involved but you'd meet the people who do it, get involved in the workplace and just get a general idea of whether or not it's an industry with a lot of jobs or not.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (19-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had another thought. What about a dental nurse? I don't think the study is that long and I always see jobs advertised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks @Truffle, not a bad idea. I'll add it to the list. @Best Things volunteering is a great thing to do, and I have looked into it and can see the benefits. I just don't think it's the right time for me to commit to atm. I've given myself until the end of this year to get my health in order, to get the house running efficiently and to decide on what I will do in the future. Volunteering means a commitment for 6 or 12 months, I'm just not ready for that yet. I don't want to let anyone down, or overcommit myself and fall apart.
    Last edited by Gothel; 19-07-2014 at 22:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I reckon do what you did for medical admin jobs. Look up job ads for careers your interested in and see what they ask for.

I've had 4 job interviews for actual outpatient roles and I still didn't get anything! And I'd only been out of my job for 9 months!

Maybe try government department roles? They are family friendly and there's stuff out there that's casual. Where I work I didn't even have a face to face interview. I just did a phone interview and got called when a position became available. It kinda hurt because I've got 15 years worth of admin/customer service experience and an 18 year old fresh out of high school got the same job as me....so there is stuff out there. Just have to do a lot of searching

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ProudMumma34 For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (21-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    Thanks @Truffle, not a bad idea. I'll add it to the list. @Best Things volunteering is a great thing to do, and I have looked into it and can see the benefits. I just don't think it's the right time for me to commit to atm. I've given myself until the end of this year to get my health in order, to get the house running efficiently and to decide on what I will do in the future. Volunteering means a commitment for 6 or 12 months, I'm just not ready for that yet. I don't want to let anyone down, or overcommit myself and fall apart.
    Good idea to set a timeframe but don't put too much pressure on yourself! Changing careers and reentering the workplace is a big step and it might take some time for you to decide what you want to do and figure out how to get there. Sometimes it's great to have a quick little look at the website spotjobs.com because they're all entry level jobs and it's a great resource for seeing what is available out there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, and thanks for that link @BestThings, I'll definitely check it out