+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 60 year old Aunty just did the phlebotomy course. Was a lot to learn for the exam but she passed & 2 weeks later got the first job at a pathology collection centre that she applied for!

DD1, April 2010 & DD2, June 2012 :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    @RipperRita that's a diverse career you've got there Politics - flight attendant - nurse. Good on you

So what kind of workload is the study? How much time do you have to devote to classes & study at home?
    I only do 2 subjects a semester and I actually found it a breeze (although I did struggle finding someone to look after the kids when I did 2 weeks full time placement). I had both kids (3 and 4 yrs) in daycare and kindy 2 days a week ( one goes to the daycare on Uni campus) and it was more than enough time to study (if I attended all the lectures and tutorials I found I only needed to do a couple of hours extra study per week, extra for exams). Uni is so different these days... Everything is online so you can watch lectures at night in bed on your computer instead of going in if you have a sick child etc...

It's really do able... get online and have a look at some courses

Thanks
    Reviews
    Being a pathologist would be my second choice definitely if I wasn't studying to be an Arabic teacher!

My advice would be to start off part time as it can be overwhelming if you haven't done it for so long. I was just able to cope with 1 subject. Did well....got a HD but it wasn't easy juggling part time work and study and family life. More pressure on me because I'm the sole income earner for at least another 1.5 years!

good luck in whatever you choose

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is youth work something you've considered? I think you would be fantastic at it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    or an allied health assistant? I don't really know much about the job like pay etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about something that might score you some free training to update your IT skills and get something recent on your CV? I'm suggesting even looking at stuff like call centres - relatively easy to get and they may offer internal training that would be relevant to office admin roles. Or, you might find that you get noticed because you are so skilled and get moved to a better role. A mate of mine used this strategy when she re-entered the workforce, better getting someone else to pay for your training!! Having something recent on your CV might make you more competitive when it comes to a job that you would like more/has more applicants to beat such as your pathology stuff.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @queSera I did think about that but tbh I was never very suited to IT anyway, it's just not my thing. And I don't want to go back to a desk-bound job either. I'm only intersted in office admin because it might have part time opportunities but the more I think about it the more I like nursing or pathology.
    @SalsaMama thanks I would actually like to do a community carer role which is kind of similar but the lack of $$ and lack of career opportunities have put me off a bit. But if I come at it from the nursing angle the whole prospect changes. I'll tell you what would be my absolute #1 dream job, working with mums suffering from pnd, either in the community or in care. Having been on the patient side of that equation, I would love to help women going through the same thing.

Thanks
    Reviews

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've seen that before @SalsaMama, and I did actually look for something similar earlier this year but then I had a relapse. They want someone who is fully recovered and I'm not sure 100% there yet. Next year maybe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    No real advice apart from theres always 'health' in the sense of mental health too... If you started a cert III of youth services its quite easy to land a job at many of the schools out there that aren't main****** schools and the work is extremely rewarding. A friend volunteered at a school for struggling children and is now working there 9-3 every day doing admin. Great hours, good pay and an easy but stimulating job.

I thought I'd just pop into this thread and say good on you for having the motivation to go out there are try something new. I really hope you find the perfect job for you and even if you don't you can always retrain again!

EDIT: You can also do a cert III in community services. So this would suit your ideal job as working with mothers struggling with PND and other issues.
    Last edited by Best Things; 18-07-2014 at 16:09. Reason: Addition information.