+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozzie1976 View Post
    Thanks ladies, I appreciate your stories. Can I ask did anyone need extra intervention such as forceps or vacuum due to being posterior despite turning? And if so did you suffer bad tearing because if this? They won't induce me with gel or the drip due to VBAC and have made this very clear, and won't be given anything to speed labour up either if it starts spontaneously. I've read labour can take longer due to not dilating as quickly with posterior births so am just wondering what to do re try for a natural birth or book in for a repeat CS. Seems each time I prepare mentally for attempting the vbac I get more news stacked against the odds of it being successful so trying to keep an open mind :/
    I have had two posterior births and both bubs were stuck for quite some time. First baby they used forceps because the vaccum couldn't get him out. Second baby the vaccum was used and successful. I had a local down there for both births and and was cut both times aswell. Each time recovery was fairly easy, no issues

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Rozzie1976  (17-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS2 was posterior.

Definitely more back pain than DS1. Took twice as long, but still intervention free vaginal birth and no tearing.

I used a TENS which helped a lot.

Goodluck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ArthurDent For This Useful Post:

Rozzie1976  (17-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Wow they used forceps on a face presentation baby. That must have been very scary. With My face presentation as soon as it was confirmed he was, they whisked me of to the operating theatre. He had other ideas and popped out nose first while they were transferring from the trolley to the op table which scared the living day lights out of the 15 people in the room. The dr was lifted up on to trolley like you see in one of those movies. One student midwife scream he was going to die and quickly ushered out. Being the impatient child he is he was born with the very next push. Thank god he was small (3650g).

Op I have had two other posterior bubs without too much trouble. I am not the quickest dilator in the best of times and this made it even slower. One I had to have the drip to keep the contractions going. All in all good births.
    It wasn't scary at the time because I didn't realise how unusual it was, which was a good thing for me because I didn't have a chance to worry. She was a big girl, too (4240g), which probably didn't help any. Some babies are really determined to do things their own way, aren't they?

The weirdest thing was laying on my back in theatre, legs up in stirrups and having the OB pop up between my legs to introduce himself. Generally I prefer to know someone's name *before* they get a good look at my lady parts, lol.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bartonia For This Useful Post:

Rozzie1976  (17-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub was posterior for much of my pregnancy and labour. I didn't have the typical back pain but his position caused me to have an urge to push a long time before I was fully dilated. I also had a lot of cervix pain. He turned at about 8cm. I had an awesome team of midwives who looked after us so well and he was born without intervention. I had a small second degree tear.
    I would very strongly suggest that you do not consent to an ARM while bub is posterior.
    I agree with a pp that a TENS machine might be a good investment. Hire one now or speak to the physio dept at your hospital about it.
    Also chiro and acupuncture in pregnancy could help with bubs position and also to encourage labour (especially because induction is not an option).
    Good luck

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Rozzie1976  (17-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son was posterior throughout my labor/delivery. He was 10lbs 3oz and had a 38.5cm head. I managed to get him out without assistance (other than an episiotomy), but I'm not going to lie - it was hard! Also left me quite distressed and with after birth problems that left me this close to needing surgery at 4 months post partem. I think it was the fact that he was posterior and had a big head that made the birth difficult, more so than him being a big baby.

my labour was 13 hours long, but I only pushed for 20 mins of those. I was also a high c section risk so was encouraged to stay on the bed for some reason (don't do this!! Get up on the fit ball and get that baby into position!!) I regretted listening to those midwives so much that I opted for a different hospital the next time round.

i don't think all posterior births end up like mine, just do your research and listen to your body Good luck!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

Rozzie1976  (17-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS1 was posterior- super fast spontaneous labour at 38 weeks, the back pain was excrutiating- I thought he was going to be delivered out of my back! Laboured til almost full dilation, then had a light epidural- and born with no tearing or other intervention- Only 5 pounds though, with a pointy head! All the best.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Rozzie1976  (17-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    For me I didn't require any further intervention, pushing took under 5 minutes and I had no tearing.

From what I now understand, (and please don't quote me on this as it's in lay terms and I could be wrong) having a baby in the posterior position can affect the natural progression of labour, like in my case, my waters broke spontaneously but labour/contractions failed to progress due to the effect her position had on my cervix; I wasn't able to dilate, she wasn't down where she should have been at that stage) and that's where induction sometimes becomes necessary.

I'm so sorry this complication is getting in the way of your hopes to have a vbac... have you looked into the exercises and methods to try and get your baby to turn? I think there is a website called "spinning babies" that has lots of information.
    Good luck x

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Thanks Marigold - my understanding is the same, if not in the correct posi when labour starts it can be longer and more drawn out as their head isn't sitting on the cervix properly and cause dilation to occur as quickly. Then if waters break and it engages still posterior you can run into all sorts of trouble . Thank you for sharing I appreciate your story hun

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my bubs were posterior...i just seem to make backwards bubs. Both were big too, DD was 8lb10 and DS was 9lb7.

Back pain with DD and a very long labour which failed to progress so needed the drip towards the end. DS was induced and was heaps quicker, under 4 hours.

I tore badly with DD and needed stitches, with DS i didnt. I did need repairs done after wards and had prolapse surgery too (about 2 years after). Docs say this was because i had big babies, though not everyone who has big babies has a prolapse so dont worry too much.

I didnt need any vacuum or forceps with either. I think they turned DS thought im not really sure. DD came out face up!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to loislane2010 For This Useful Post:

Rozzie1976  (18-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by zooey View Post
    Rozzie, my 3rd was posterior and didn't turn so was not in a great position and couldn't properly engage etc. I ended up having an emergency csection because I wasn't dilating (and his hb was dropping) after 6 hours on the drip (3rd day of induction after the gel & cathedar).

best of luck xx it's different for everyone
    Thanks Zooey - They won't give me the drip or gel due to VBAC. And they don't do epidurals either so if I do go into spontaneous labour will just have to hope I progress well otehrwise it is an automatic CS. It is a concern if it stays posterior that labour won't progress well enough, as that means another CS also...I guess time will tell

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - thank you
    My first baby was posterior and it wasn't any easy birth at all. He turned right at the end, but by this point I had begged for the strongest epidural I could get. I couldn't feel a thing and pushed really ineffectively and ended up with an episiotomy. I wished I'd been better informed about fetal positioning (and birth in general!) then.

Have you had a look at the Spinning Babies website? It might be helpful.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to tickle For This Useful Post:

Rozzie1976  (18-07-2014)