+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Another thing I'd like to add. It SEEMS to make sense that if you're cold, the body might divert energy from the immune response in order to keep the core temperature stable. However, I can't find ANY evidence.

In fact, there seems to be a fair bit of research, yet no link between exposure to cold & immune response (except possibly in the case of actual hypothermia).

If anyone can find any evidence to the contrary, please share!

However, it's looking like that one might be a myth too. A myth with a believable mechanism, but a myth nonetheless.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

ElizaDoLittle  (17-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Dd is going to the snow on a school camp. She is required to have a special asthma plan for that day signed off by her Dr.

The other thing is people are often told to move north (to the warmer areas) to help with their asthma. So I think it does have some merit that colder weather can make a difference to people with asthma.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Absolutely. Cold air, sudden change in temperature and dry climates can definitely affect some people with asthma. In that case though, the cold doesn't MAKE you sick, but can exacerbate the symptoms of a specific medical condition. Interestingly though, humid/hot weather can be an asthma trigger for some people. I don't think it's as common though.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Another thing I'd like to add. It SEEMS to make sense that if you're cold, the body might divert energy from the immune response in order to keep the core temperature stable. However, I can't find ANY evidence.
    I don't know about scientific evidence however DH is pretty healthy and fit. He cycles about 200km a week year-round. He also suffers from cold sores and we have worked out three things that trigger the cold sore virus to flare up for him. One is too little sleep, one is if he has a bug like a winter cold. But the third is the cold - every single year when the weather turns cold he gets a flare up inside his nose. The cold sore virus is an opportunistic virus, it is taking advantage of some down-turn in his immune system and for him the cold definitely triggers the virus.

In response to the OP, I don't think running around outside when you have a cold will do any harm as long as you are well dressed and well rested. The fresh air will probably even help a bit. But running around outside, when you have a bug and are not dressed for the weather isn't going to do anyone any favours. IMO

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks all for your wonderful advice.
    Last night Ds complained of a sore ear, the GP thinks there's infection.
    So day 6 of sickness in total.
    Tomorrow I'm keeping him home to rest. Plus I have a cold

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    What all the PP's said. However cold weather can affect people with asthma and trigger attacks.
    Yep I rarely get asthma since living in the warmer climate but get it regularly in the cooler climate.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Thanks all for your wonderful advice.
    Last night Ds complained of a sore ear, the GP thinks there's infection.
    So day 6 of sickness in total.
    Tomorrow I'm keeping him home to rest. Plus I have a cold

hope he - and you - get better soon

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (17-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    I haven't heard that before, and it seems to go against what I know of viruses. I've just had a quick google, but can't find anything. Do you have any sources? (Genuine question).

To those saying it's not an old wives' tale, I guess that depends on how you take it. There are a few reasons why cold weather can mean an increase in infections - another is that the flu virus is actually better protected in cold weather (its coating essentially hardens) so it's better able to survive & spread. The fact that there's a link between cold weather and infection does NOT mean that being in the cold will make you sick, which is what many people believe and act upon.

Yes, you're generally more likely to get a cold/the flu etc. in winter. However that doesn't mean that a child playing outside in winter is MORE likely to get sick than one playing inside.
    Sorry - late back to thread -
    I can't remember 'exactly' where I read it ... but here is something..

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...l#.U8j7QV6KA2w

Thanks
    Reviews
    ...and sorry OP - Hope you and your fam are feeling better soon.