+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    What a great thread! Definite old wives tale!!! My dad thinks this too and when we pick DD up from his house after work, he will put a jacket on her. I tell him its toasty warm in the car and he says 'its only to get to the car' the car is 1 meter from the front door!!!!! GAH!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    What a great thread! Definite old wives tale!!! My dad thinks this too and when we pick DD up from his house after work, he will put a jacket on her. I tell him its toasty warm in the car and he says 'its only to get to the car' the car is 1 meter from the front door!!!!! GAH!!!!!
    This is my MIL. It absolutely does my head in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The cold won't 'make them sick'.
    ..but, when the body is cold (nasal passages etc) they are the type of environment that viruses thrive in.
    and what katiesmum said

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    That's a bit of overkill for sure but it's not just an old wives tale. I grew up in a cold damp climate, and if you didn't keep mostly warm and dry, you would get sick. As KatiesMum said, it's because the body is spending its energy on keeping warm, which leaves you susceptible to viruses etc.
    If dh washes the girls hair at night, he will let them go to bed with damp hair. I just can't bring myself to do that, I blow dry it, because I don't want their head to get cold and I also don't want the pillow to get damp and possibly mouldy. I wouldn't worry about it in summer but in winter no way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    All I know from personal experience for our family is that we don't get as sick living in the hot climate we live in and when we do we get over it quite quickly. Whereas when we visit the city and get sick we seem to take a lot longer to get over it. Particularly if I have a cold for example it lingers, feel like I'm getting better but then going out in the cool air seems to flare it up again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    The cold won't 'make them sick'.
    ..but, when the body is cold (nasal passages etc) they are the type of environment that viruses thrive in.
    I haven't heard that before, and it seems to go against what I know of viruses. I've just had a quick google, but can't find anything. Do you have any sources? (Genuine question).

To those saying it's not an old wives' tale, I guess that depends on how you take it. There are a few reasons why cold weather can mean an increase in infections - another is that the flu virus is actually better protected in cold weather (its coating essentially hardens) so it's better able to survive & spread. The fact that there's a link between cold weather and infection does NOT mean that being in the cold will make you sick, which is what many people believe and act upon.

Yes, you're generally more likely to get a cold/the flu etc. in winter. However that doesn't mean that a child playing outside in winter is MORE likely to get sick than one playing inside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What all the PP's said. However cold weather can affect people with asthma and trigger attacks.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (17-07-2014),Renn  (17-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read a while ago that when you are cold your immune system can be suppressed therefore you are more likely to get sick. So, although the cold doesn't make you sick, it could be a contributing factor. You still need to come in contact with the virus to become unwell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    What all the PP's said. However cold weather can affect people with asthma and trigger attacks.
    Ah see I find if I'm a bit tight chested going outside in the cool air makes it so much easier to breathe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Dd is going to the snow on a school camp. She is required to have a special asthma plan for that day signed off by her Dr.

The other thing is people are often told to move north (to the warmer areas) to help with their asthma. So I think it does have some merit that colder weather can make a difference to people with asthma.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

ElizaDoLittle  (17-07-2014)