+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsA2B View Post
    Hi @SimmyN - I don't smoke anymore but just wanted to say good luck and offer some support.

I actually quit about 4 years ago (cold turkey - sorry, haha!) but it was the best thing I ever did. I never imagined that I would be able to cope with or enjoy life without a cigarette but I don't miss it at all.

Fingers crossed for you!
    Thank you! I've tried cold turkey and failed the next day so thought why not try something else. Lol.
    I have felt like I can't do it and that I'll have no idea what to do when I put that last one out but I'm also feeling excited 😊 I've given myself today to get it out of my system and I'm going to try my hardest. Gotta change the way I think lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    SimmyN, the first time I quit smoking I did it cold turkey and it was SO hard. I quit half way through the day when my pack ran out. I only lasted a week.
    The second time I did it cold turkey but I had a game plan. I realized if I didn't have the first one of a morning, the rest of the day wasn't so hard. So I changed my morning. Instead of a coffee out the back, I'd have a cup of tea on the front door step. During the day when I wanted one, I'd have a drink of water with my note pad and cup of tea and write a list. I allowed myself to recognize that I wanted a cigarette, but wrote a list of things I wanted more. A car, a holiday, just whatever. I also made myself calculate how much money I had wasted in the 10 years I had been smoking (turned out to be enough that I could have bought a house outright with all that money) and that worked for a few months.

Don't think of every time you slip up as a failure either. So you slipped up, that's okay. Everyone does. Just work out what triggered the slip up and recognize it next time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    SimmyN, the first time I quit smoking I did it cold turkey and it was SO hard. I quit half way through the day when my pack ran out. I only lasted a week.
    The second time I did it cold turkey but I had a game plan. I realized if I didn't have the first one of a morning, the rest of the day wasn't so hard. So I changed my morning. Instead of a coffee out the back, I'd have a cup of tea on the front door step. During the day when I wanted one, I'd have a drink of water with my note pad and cup of tea and write a list. I allowed myself to recognize that I wanted a cigarette, but wrote a list of things I wanted more. A car, a holiday, just whatever. I also made myself calculate how much money I had wasted in the 10 years I had been smoking (turned out to be enough that I could have bought a house outright with all that money) and that worked for a few months.

Don't think of every time you slip up as a failure either. So you slipped up, that's okay. Everyone does. Just work out what triggered the slip up and recognize it next time.
    Thank you so much for that 😊 I'm really thinking of the money (my DP smokes but he's given himself a quit day and plans to stick to it which I'm fine with) I'm feeling more confident with this attempt. I think motivation is knowing the money I'll save and how much healthier I'll feel. I'm changing my routine already, I'm happy to cup coffee out as its a big trigger for me.
    In a way I am doing cold turkey as of tomorrow so I have nothing against it lol just building my self up for it this time I think has helped.

A quote that I love which will help I think.
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

It's not going to be quick but I want to do it for me as well this time. Fingers crossed! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    One thing that helped me especially with the money and health aspect was this app. It logged how much I was saving and how my health was faring.
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! I'll download it now ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just passed my 3 years smoke free anniversary and just wanted to say you are all doing great! Quitting smokes was one of the hardest things I have done and even now I go through moments when I think "God I would love a smoke right now" the most recent was yesterday and when that happens I start thinking of something else or find something else to do that might occupy my brain, it's not easy and took me a long time to reprogram myself to be able to do it. At first if I got a craving I would jump up and do some exercise because not only do I really need to exercise but the fact that I struggled to catch my breath reminded me how badly I needed to quit so stay strong because if I can do it anyone can!
    P.S I admire all of you that quit cold turkey I used champix. I also agree you have to be ready 100% the first time I quit I did it just to stop my parents (who are reformed smokers) from bugging me and I only lasted 6 months before I got another pack but after losing 3 babies I was determined and 100% ready

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't touched a smoke all day 😊 surprisingly not too grumpy either lol

DP decided to read the book I was reading. He threw a nearly full packet of smokes in the bin! So proud!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (02-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    SimmyN - I was wondering if the book is worth it. I've been struggling to at least cut down for ages but to no avail. Good luck with your quit journey.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny88 View Post
    SimmyN - I was wondering if the book is worth it. I've been struggling to at least cut down for ages but to no avail. Good luck with your quit journey.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app
    The book is so worth it I think. It changes the way u think.
    Thank you and good luck as well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not feeling good tonight.
    DP ran out straight after work n bought and packet. I'm so angry at him n I probably don't have any rights but now it's all I can smell. Everywhere. He has no ash tray because I chucked it away. I'm feeling ****ed off really really want a smoke now