+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The more the merrier!

I've been battling quitting for ages. The longest I made was 3 years. I consider myself an all or nothing girl- cutting down for me just doesn't work. If I'm smoking I like to smoke heaps lol.

I was hoping becoming pregnant would make it easier- but I found the urge too strong (I made about 6 weeks) and I was like Chrissie Swan, hiding it from DH and family and having secret shameful smokes. I lied to the midwives too.

The biggest hurdle is work. About 75% of the staff smoke (I'm in same industry as @SeymourTheBear) and it's a lifesaver there. It's my stress relief and social outlet.

I do love it. But unfortunately it costs WAAY too much now, and it kills you! I'm desperately underweight and it's due to smoking instead of eating during breaks at work.

Dd is starting to get to the age where she pays more attention to what I'm doing (20 months) plus I'm over 30 now and desperate to stop before too much damage is done.

Every pack I promise myself it's the last.

I feel like such a failure and a bad mummy.

I'm ready to quit but just need a push and grit my teeth and bear it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't feel ready to quit but I know I have to. I want to enjoy time outside with DS. He's nearly 8 months. I've been smoking since I was 13 I'm now 24. I hate it everytime I have one but I enjoy it at the same time. If I'm having a rough day it's what I do to relax. It's so bad for me though. My family constantly goes on and on and on! My father is a reformed smoker. Just quit cold turkey it's not that hard. I've tried so many times and failed. I need to do it. I know I need to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I had my DH and kids harass me for ages, I knew I needed to give up. But I wasn't ready for ages. I tried to give up several times. Patches, champix, gum. All failed bc I wasn't ready.

Then about 2 weeks before I found out I was pg I was having a smoke and thought 'what the hell am I doing? I don't enjoy it anymore, it stinks, it's gross, it's slowly killing me'. Suddenly the insurmountable task of giving up became relatively easy. In fact I was shocked how easy it was.

Yes I still think about it, quite a bit. But it's more a passing thought then it's gone. My point is you girls have to be ready. The reason you've struggled to give up in the past is bc you are giving up for everyone else not for you. I'm not saying don't give up if you don't want to. But draw a pros and cons sheet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    The more the merrier!

I've been battling quitting for ages. The longest I made was 3 years. I consider myself an all or nothing girl- cutting down for me just doesn't work. If I'm smoking I like to smoke heaps lol.

I was hoping becoming pregnant would make it easier- but I found the urge too strong (I made about 6 weeks) and I was like Chrissie Swan, hiding it from DH and family and having secret shameful smokes. I lied to the midwives too.

The biggest hurdle is work. About 75% of the staff smoke (I'm in same industry as @SeymourTheBear) and it's a lifesaver there. It's my stress relief and social outlet.

I do love it. But unfortunately it costs WAAY too much now, and it kills you! I'm desperately underweight and it's due to smoking instead of eating during breaks at work.

Dd is starting to get to the age where she pays more attention to what I'm doing (20 months) plus I'm over 30 now and desperate to stop before too much damage is done.

Every pack I promise myself it's the last.

I feel like such a failure and a bad mummy.

I'm ready to quit but just need a push and grit my teeth and bear it.
    All or nothing here too - cutting down just doesn't work for me.

It's hard when most of the staff smoke -
    I often wonder what on earth I would do on my breaks if I didn't smoke?! Not to mention - it is really a social thing at work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm beating myself up everyday. Every puff I take I think about what a terrible mum I am.
    I've stopped buying smokes but I keep sneaking my partners
    I had an allergic reaction to patches
    And this cold turkey thing omg.
    I always thought 'as soon as I'm pregnant that's it no more smokes' and it so isn't as easy as that ...

Jude 31 and Wayne 37
    Angel baby 6-9-14

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Good luck to everyone quitting, thinking of quitting, or battling to stay quit.
    It's a hard hard road but so worth it.
    I quit cold turkey in January this year when I found out I was pregnant.
    I slipped up a couple of weeks later after a bad day at work.
    This time I think it worked because I had a supportive partner who didn't pressure me and only encouraged me. I had the motivation of being pregnant and I realised id been smoking for 18 years when I always said id quit if I got to 10 years, then it was when I got to 15 years.
    If anyone wants to chat or is in need of support, you're welcome to hunt me down.
    Wishing everyone the best xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I gave up when I was pregnant with ds 3yrs ago and my dh gave up cold turkey. I always feel ppl that give up cold turkey have a lot of strength cuz if it wasn't from hating the smell and taste while pregnant I think I'd still be smoking. I am always slightly tempted although it would only be to suppress my appetite or social thou it doesn't phase me one bit. Good luck to those in the process of quitting.

Sent from my HTC_PO582 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancinjude View Post
    I'm beating myself up everyday. Every puff I take I think about what a terrible mum I am.
    I've stopped buying smokes but I keep sneaking my partners
    I had an allergic reaction to patches
    And this cold turkey thing omg.
    I always thought 'as soon as I'm pregnant that's it no more smokes' and it so isn't as easy as that ...

Jude 31 and Wayne 37
    Angel baby 6-9-14
    You are not a bad mum! Smoking is as addictive as heroin. Why not look at harm minimisation short term? cut right down. Smoking 5 a day is much better than 25. Then you can try to wean off those. If you don't, well again 5 is a much better result. The pressure to give up is immense when we are pg.

Try the inhaler. After 20 years of smoking it really really worked for me and took the edge off for those first few really tough days. Once you get through those you start to realise you CAN do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure if anyone's still around in this thread. But I thought why not at least try lol my father is annoying with how I should just quit cold turkey and my step mum is going on about how cold turkey is best way (she gave me that lecture whilst having a smoke herself!?)

I've started reading a book by Allen Carr. Easy way to quit smoking. I've heard only great things. So today is my last day of smoking. I am determined to stop for my son and myself. I feel good 😊 a bit nervous but still good.

Just hoping there's still some people on this thread for some positive reassurance that I can do it lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @SimmyN - I don't smoke anymore but just wanted to say good luck and offer some support.

I actually quit about 4 years ago (cold turkey - sorry, haha!) but it was the best thing I ever did. I never imagined that I would be able to cope with or enjoy life without a cigarette but I don't miss it at all.

Fingers crossed for you!