+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 9 month old hasnt taken to solids - wanting advice

Needing advice. DS is 9 months old and has hardly taken to solids (would occasionally nibble at a piece of toast or eat just a couple spoonfuls of pureed apple or pear and 2 types of Raffetys garden pouches) and has now regressed pretty much back to eating nothing at all. Every meal time results in screaming as he doesnt want to eat and doesnt want to be in the highchair, but if we leave him to play on the floor he cracks it as he wants us to be with him. Its doing my head in. Even daycare are stumped. They asked me what his favourite foods are so they could arrange them for him to get him to eat, but I had no answer Should I be concerned? I know solids arent everything at this age but it worries me that he hardly tries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Is he possibly teething? Ds1 went through this phase and we had a bit of luck by just putting finger foods on his tray to try. I wouldn't worry yet just keep offering different foods and maybe try giving him a spoon of his own and just letting him play with it

Eta: Also ds2 is almost 11 months and has only showed interest in food for the last few weeks.
    Last edited by Purple Lily; 16-07-2014 at 13:42.

Mod-SammiAnn is offline Administrator
    Winner 2010- The Most Helpful Member Award

Winner 2010- Member You'd Most Like To Meet IRL Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi, my DD3 was the same, tasted occasionally but that was it until she was one. Now I can't keep the food up to her!

I think as long as bub is happy, healthy and you're offering and giving bub the chance to try different foods you're doing just fine. My DD is lose weight from 6-9mths but GP was happy that it wasn't a huge issue, she was just getting busier.

Go with your gut instinct and don't hesitate to ask a professional if you're getting worried about it.

Good luck,
    Sam

Sam

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS wasn't really interested in solids til 10 months. He didn't like any puréed fruit which I found really strange but that's just how he was. He still doesn't like fruit tbh! I would take a small break from solids (maybe a week) and then try again. Does he like custard? That's what got DS interested in solids. Otherwise keep offering fingerfoods for him to taste but don't force the issue. If you're worried maybe you can call your MCHN?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope doesn't like custard im so glad to hear that im not the only one with a bubs like this, its so depressing when i see everyone else with bubs this age and under who eat so well! Hes complete opposite to what DD was like, she would eat anything!

he's a good weight and size so I guess he is getting what he needs. I've tried cutting back how much milk I give him by just a small amount each feed but all it does is make him cranky! Hopefully he will take to it soon otherwise might talk to the chn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried baby led weaning? He might not like the textures of purée, my DD's first solid was chunks of cucumber skin on, seeds removed. She loved squeaking it on her gums when she was teething.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Smyles View Post
    Have you tried baby led weaning? He might not like the textures of purée, my DD's first solid was chunks of cucumber skin on, seeds removed. She loved squeaking it on her gums when she was teething.
    Baby led weaning is great, the book by Gill Rapley will ease your mind and remember food under one is just for fun

Thanks
    Reviews
    My GP told me to feed DD solids before offering any milk in order to get more into her as she wasn't mad keen on food.
    She is much better now but still has her moments where she won't take much..... Except with yoghurt.... She would eat that and only that if I let her!

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi! I agree with pp... Go with your gut instinct. My dd was very much like your lo... Predominantly liquid diet & there wasnot one single food that I knew confidently she would eat. Her weight fine & certainly not malnourished. Her twin brother was eating far more ... Quantity & variety. This went on until about 18 mths, & I started to question if there was something physiologically wrong.... Turned out she had enlarged tonsils, which made swallowing difficult. Explained the difficulty transitioning to solids & love of milk! Anyway, maybe worth keeping in mind if things don't improve down the track. There's other symptoms assoc with enlarged tonsils, so I maybe way off track.

I also have an 18 mth ds, who didn't really get the hang if eating til about 10 mths.... But once he did, he was into all sorts of food.

Good luck!