+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default Bub not growing.

I'm not sure where to look for the answers so I turn to you clever ladies.
    My ds is 8.5 months. I had him weighed and measured in april and he came in at 8.01kgs and 68cms.
    We had a chn appointment yesterday and he came in at 8.8kgs and 69 cms.
    I didn't say anything at the time to the chn as our appointment went over and I didn't think of it until later but I am wondering if there is a problem with bub only growing 1cm in 2 months?

living my dreams x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont know if its normal to have a small amount of growth at that age, but dd did as well. She is 2.5 now and grows slowly but has the odd growth spurt. She is small for her age though but healthy.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD has slowed right down in growth over the past few months, she was born quite small (less than 3rd percentile) and grew a lot very quickly (up to 50th percentile by 6 weeks, and still there). I figure she grew to the size she was 'supposed' to be and now has slowed.

Maybe your DS's body is so busy learning things like talking/crawling and all his other skills that it has put growth on the back burner for a little while, so to speak? Is he otherwise quite healthy? If you're worried, maybe take him to get weighed & measured in another month and ask then?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd mention it to the chn if you can. The World Health Organization has a bunch of growth standards, one of which is how quickly a child should grow in weight and length (velocities). For the 6-8 month range 1cm over the 2 months is listed as 1st percentile, however for weight he's close to 75th percentile in gains over that same period.

It could be nothing and that he is meant to be that small and slow growing, but it might also be that there is a problem and it couldn't hurt to get it checked, especially since it means he has dropped from 50th percentile to 15th.

Edited to add sources:

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand...boys_p_0_2.pdf
    http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand...oys_2mon_p.pdf
    http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand...mon_p.pdf?ua=1

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD started at 20th percentile for height and is now only at the 5th. MCHN wasn't concerned - she's just going to be a little one! She's 12 months and is 8.5kg and 70cm.