+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do you manage your child's behaviour when out in public?

I have a few methods that work really well with my 3 year old when we are home, so he tends to be quite an easy kid.

When we are out however he is really silly, hyper and won't listen to anything I say, he completely ignores me which is doing my head in. Add to that a running, shrieking 17 month old and I am turning into a hermit.

So what works for you when you are out and about?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I try to go through my expectations with DS1 before we go out - I go through where we are going, what we're doing there and what kind of behaviour I expect. If he doesn't listen or behave reasonably we go home. I have only had to drop everything a couple of times and drag a screaming toddler out of a shopping centre. The looks I got were enough to make me want to crawl into a hole, but after following through a few times he gets that if he doesn't do what he is asked we go (after a couple of warnings). If we're going to the shops or whatever I also make sure he gets time to do what he wants - ie first we get what mums needs, then you can spend 15 minutes looking at the toy isles or playing at the playground. I then have leverage - if he doesn't let me do my shopping he doesn't get to play!

If we have to go somewhere where he is expected to sit quietly (an appointment or something) I make sure I pack books etc for him, and will sometimes get him a treat afterwards if he's been good. I try to avoid going anywhere where they are expected to be too well behaved - it's not so much DS1 I have to worry about, but he toddler tornado that DS2 is!!
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 15-07-2014 at 14:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also go through my expectations for my 6 & 3 year old and they do very well out and about. My 18 month old is a nightmare if something doesn't pan out the way he wants, considering becoming a hermit with him too! LOL

Hopefully there will be some good strategies to try

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Define the expectations before you leave, and I also use rewards for good behaviour.

Blowing bubbles or a matchbox car from Coles were always our thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also I try to avoid outings close to nap time. They get too hyper of overtired.Out by 10ish and in a position to sleep or have a nap at nap time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't go out! Or if I do it's with dh. tHATS how rediculous my kids are in public.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    Also I try to avoid outings close to nap time. They get too hyper of overtired.Out by 10ish and in a position to sleep or have a nap at nap time.

Oooh yes, this too. We only go out in the mornings, as both mine are complete ferals in the afternoons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I take my kids out all time by myself. But I have clear expectations of behaviour, always take my double pram and have on several occ left abruptly if either child stuffs around.

I find that explaining clearly what we are doing ie post office, groceries then playtime then lunch. Reminding them that we take turns to do what mummy wants then what the girls want. I use the pram as a restraint and as a time out zone as needed. I also use stickers to reward positive behaviour.

Lastly outings are generally when the kids are fresh and happy so first thing in the morning, after naps and on sat nights we either go to church or out somewhere after bath and dinner.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If my DD misbehaves I put her in the pram or I just put her back in the car and go home. That's after a firm warning.

Me + DP 01.03.2010 = DD 22.02.2011 + DS 20.01.2014 = <3

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm with others, I go through expectations with my DD before we leave the house, then again in the car. If she acts up when we're out she gets one warning and if it continues we leave, only had to do it once kicking and screaming and she hasn't done it since.

If I know we're going to be doing something stressful, like a huge shop/back to school shopping etc I wait until a day when DH is home as he's tougher than me haha.