+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My 24mth DD is refusing to nap!

Hi everyone,

Just after some advice/experiences!

My DD is just 2 and has always been a brilliant sleeper. She had been on the same routine from 12mths - 20mths of sleeping 11am-2pm during the day. Nights are always perfect, 12-13 hours.

I moved her out to 11.30 at 21mths and then midday as she wasn't falling asleep or kept waking up about an hour after she went down.

Now at 24mths she is refusing to sleep at all. We haven't changed routines, she's happily still in her cot, and goes down easily. However she just lies there laughing and talking for up to 3 hours.

My question is, should I try to push her out again, say til 12.30 or 1? Or could she be dropping her nap altogether?

My 2nd is due in 12 weeks and I'd love my good sleeper back before then

Thanks in advance!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD recently did very similar, she's 26 months / 22.5 months corrected.

She was sleeping 2-3 hours daily, easy to put down etc. And one day just wanted to chat and play, no interest in sleeping, days in a row we repeated this, no other change in routine or possible reason, she just didn't want to sleep!

I spoke to a few other mums and realised she might just be dropping her sleep!

We adjusted bed time half an hour earlier (to 6:30pm) and she's sleeping through until about 7:30am+, so that's great there's no night time impact there (if anything she might be getting an hour longer).

Fast forward a few weeks to now and she seems to want to nap every now and then, up to twice a week, and goes down for about 2 hours when she does.

I was pretty devastated about losing that time to myself, because number 2 is on the way here as well! But she's happy and sleeping well at night, so I can't complain really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some kids do drop their naps early. My second stopped her nap at 12 months!
    If she's happy and sleeping well at night she just might not need the extra sleep now, or only once a week or so.
    Youre very fortunate she's a happy sleeper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD dropped her nap just before she turned 2. Or rather, any sleep she had in the day (even 10 mins!) would keep her up till 10/11pm every night. Easier just to get rid of it for us. Since you will have a new bub soon maybe start introducing 'quiet time' if she doesnt want to nap. Just books or a movie or quiet play.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! I had a feeling she was dropping it but didn't want to believe it I love that peace and quiet I get when she asleep during the day and was looking forward to having a few quiet hours with bubs when they arrive! But seems it may not be the case. Happy to hear that others are still napping here and there which I'll keep an eye out for if she does drop her day nap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are going through something similar, DD is 26 months and def in the process of dropping her day sleep, she has never been a great sleeper and averages 10-11 hours overnight and on days she does nap 1.5 due in the day, this concerns me but it seems to work for her. If she doesn't nap during the day then generally wakes a few times during the night (go figure)!! But we are trying to just go with it, any form of sleep training we have tried has never worked and she gets what she needs/wants so it is a happier household if we just roll with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 went through a phase of being impossible to get to sleep for his day nap when he was around 2 - but he was still napping 1.5 - 2 hours on his 2 daycare days. We had a bit of a lack of routine before his nap, so I introduced a strong lunchtime routine and he want back to having his nap. Obviously routine isn't an issue for you, so I would keep up with your nap routine and just let her have 'quiet time' in her cot if she won't sleep (maybe push it back if you think that will help). She may go back to napping or may not. I found with DS1 he was ready to drop his day nap when it interfered with him going to sleep at a reasonable time at night, which was when he was a bit over 3 (he is 3.5 now and rarely has a day nap at home, but still does at daycare then doesn't go to sleep until 9pm!).
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 15-07-2014 at 13:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD (22 months) usually goes down for a nap between 12:30 & 1:30.

If she's still sleeping well at night, personally I'd try a later nap. If it doesn't work out, then you could just ensure she gets some 'quiet time' during the day like she's getting now. I'd be loathe to give up on a nap before trying alternatives though, especially with a new bub on the way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again everyone! She seems to be a bit better at going to sleep at 12.30 so might run with that for a while. I think she'll be god at 'quiet time' when the nap eventually goes as she's more than happy in her cot talking and playing. Thanks again ladies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS is 2.5 and I keep stretching out his nap. He went down at 12.45pm today and is still asleep, we also had ed gym this morning and a big lunch which helps.