+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Homemade tennis ball bomb in garden

We found a tennis ball handmade bomb in our garden on Sunday morning. It looked pretty amateur but was full of shards of glass and was obviously some sort of explosive as it was all burnt out.

Dp basically said not to worry aBout it as we live adjacent to a park and it was most likely kids etc. probably true but it wasn't far from the kids rooms and honestly, who does this?!

anyway I rang the police today and they said they'd send a car over. Then they rang back and said to drop it in, which I did. When I arrived and explained to the lady (possibly policewoman) on reception who I was and that I'd rung earlier she started smirking and then laughed as she walked away to show the coppers the bomb/ ball. Basically she made me feel like a total dic*head. I made a comment that I didn't find it funny since it could have gone through my kids bedrooms.

Did I over react? Is it now okay to through explosives over fences? Are coppers just too under the pump and a handmade bomb is insignificant?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think you over reacted. I'm sorry they made you feel like cr@p. I would be worried to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I get where you're coming from, a few months ago I found a huge butchers' knife in the electrical box out on our front fence. It really freaked me out, why would someone put a huge knife in there! So I called the cops and they were so blasé and said to just bring it in. I took it in and they just smirked and casually took it off me and that was it, no questions, didn't get my name or address or anything, I'm sure it went right in the bin.

I felt annoyed but what can you do. It's pretty pathetic in my opinion, finding a weapon or bomb in your yard is bloody disconcerting! The police are supposed to protect and reassure us of our safety.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I certainly don't think you over reacted. I would find it even more strange if you WEREN'T concerned!

I find it odd that the police didn't show more interest. I know that there isn't much they could do, but they should still have treated the matter with the seriousness that it deserves.

All it takes is for these 'kids' to advance a little more in their bomb making skills, and the next minute you'll have someone's back door burnt down with a molotov cocktail!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dunno, I can see both sides.

Yes, it sounds concerning - especially given that it contained glass. No, I wouldn't expect police to take it seriously (although reacting that way in front of you was completely unprofessional).

The reality is that a tennis ball bomb is EXTREMELY amateur when talking explosives (depending on what exactly the explosive matter was). If I found one I'd certainly assume kids being stupid. It's really on the low end of what police have to deal with. The reality is that they can't deal with every little concern, especially if there's nothing to link to a specific offender.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    I get where you're coming from, a few months ago I found a huge butchers' knife in the electrical box out on our front fence. It really freaked me out, why would someone put a huge knife in there! So I called the cops and they were so blasé and said to just bring it in. I took it in and they just smirked and casually took it off me and that was it, no questions, didn't get my name or address or anything, I'm sure it went right in the bin.

I felt annoyed but what can you do. It's pretty pathetic in my opinion, finding a weapon or bomb in your yard is bloody disconcerting! The police are supposed to protect and reassure us of our safety.
    Protect us, yes. Reassure us of our safety, not so much.

I guess if they were blasé about it, to me that says in the bigger scheme of things it's not that big a deal. Whether that makes you feel relieved or more anxious, is up to the individual!

Thanks
    Reviews
    A young teen in Ipswich last year lost both hands due to a homemade golf ball bomb. I think they could at least keep an eye on the park, or do a little door knocking.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to maddysmama For This Useful Post:

Kleep81  (19-11-2014)