+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How young was your baby when they went into childcare?

So I have two DS - ds1 is 2 1/2, and ds2 is 4 months. I have been at home since I was 7 months pregnant with ds1, so just over 2 1/2 years now.

I hate saying this cause my baby is only 4 months, but I'm going crazy. I'm bored, my high needs spirited toddler is driving me nuts, & my high needs Velcro baby is driving me nuts. & I'm feeling like I'm not being a very good mum to either of them right now.

I feel, for all of us, it would be better if I went back to work part time, two or three days a week, so I can get some of myself back & also so the days I am with them I'm fully present & enjoying them...but I worry about putting a 4 month old in childcare!!

How yong were your babies when they went into childcare & how did they cope?

& are you a better mum if you work part time??

Please no judgement or no comments like "why have kids if someone else is going to raise them" -- I know some people are happy being full time stay at home mums, but after 2 1/2 years I'm done....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd1 was 18mths when she started 2 days a week and dd2 was 7mths for 2 days. I found that 7mths was too young for bub and too hard for me. I was expressing daily and then twice at work to have enough milk for childcare. Dd2 used to have very short sleeps ie 40-60min there vs 3-4hrs at home. Whereas 18mths was too old for dd1 as she took ages to settle in but I didn't have to express much and sleeps were ok.

I only bumped to 3 days a week when dd2 was 18mths old as both my kids do not thrive at daycare. They manage. I work for my sanity but they would be much happier being home bodies mostly. Both kids love their sleep and they just don't get that at daycare.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    7 months. I was over it and went back to work for 2 days initially. It was a great decision for all of us. Best part was no separation anxiety or transition. DS was comfortable that by the time he hit that age when separation anxiety hits he knew all the carers, the environment and the routine. I'd do it all over again the same way too less the ridiculous mothers guilt we seem programmed to have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Dd1 started going 2 days a week when she was about 7 months. Dd2 started when she was 6 weeks. Dd3 started when she was 12 months.

Dd1 suffered separation anxiety and would scream when I dropped her off (she was about 3 then), but if she had a distraction like painting, she was fine and just waved goodbye to me. Even on her bad days it only lasted til I was out of sight. The rest have always loved going, I dont even get a goodbye most times.

Mind you, I dont work (I was but we were no better off financially due to my entire pay going to daycare) so made the choice for me to go back to being a sahm. I keep them in a couple of days a week so they can interact with other kids.

He + Me = dd1 (July 2007), dd2 (July 2010), dd3 (August 2012), dd4 (May 2014)
    Embrace the chaos
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 14-07-2014 at 10:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    5 months one day a weeks. Helped with her social and development skills

Me + DP 01.03.2010 = DD 22.02.2011 + DS 20.01.2014 = <3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My daughter was about 15 months. There have been quite a few new bubs since she started though, usually starting at about 4-7 months.

If it's what you think will be best for you, I'd say go for it. My main two concerns personally would be:
    -Feeds. Are you breast or formula feeding? At 4 months it'd be a lot of expressing for bf, and potentially a pain in the ***.
    -Sleep. How does bub sleep? It could be hard getting ready for & turning up to work after next to no sleep. Not that it'd be easy looking after 2 young kids either. Just a point to consider.

It sounds like you want to work. If the downsides are manageable, then I'd highly recommend you do it. Kids are resilient - they'll manage. You need to look after yourself first, without feeling guilty about it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Monkey'sMummy  (14-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 10 months and has just started 3 days a week. So far he seems to really enjoy it- I think it's good for him to have the social interaction and frankly I think he gets a little bored at home with me all day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having 2 little ones at home was so hard- I know exactly how you are feeling. I have always been keen to get back to work. My DS1 was 12 months when he started and my DS2 was 10 months. At our centre, we have heaps of babies younger than that. Working is very important to me- i LOVE it- part time at the moment- 3 days per week- I just love it and I know I enjoy my time off a lot more. My DD is about to turn 2- she goes 3 days per week and is loving it. She is also learning new skills and it is her time when she can muck about and have fun- at home, I sometimes feel like I am always telling my kids what to do so we can achieve what we need to throughout the day. I say go for it- for yourself esteem, mental wellbeing, and also your kids will be fine. If it doesn't work out, you can readjust. All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was/am a SAHM but ds went at 15 months 2 days a week because I had dd and wasn't coping (severe PND). Dd went at 2yrs 2 days a week as well but was looked after by my mum 2 days a week from 2 months old so I could attend a mental health day program for my PND and concentrate on getting better.

They have attended daycare 2 days a week since then...

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS was 7months when I went back to work 5days/week 9-3. He went to FDC 3 days, to my parents 1 day and DPs parents 1 day. He's just turned 4 with the same arrangement and its worked/working perfectly for all.