+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Refusing one side

DS 5 months has started refusing my left side for some feeds. I'll feed on the right, have a burp and breather and then try the left and he'll fuss and not want it so I assume he's not hungry. Then he'll fuss that he's hungry so I'll try again and he'll refuse again but if I try the right side he'll latch and eat again. Any ideas why? He's not doing it every feed and if I start with the left he'll have it. Could it be teeth bothering him? Or do I not have as much on that side? My right side does have a stronger flow than the left and I can usually pump more out of it as well.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    It could be flow and quantity. Perhaps if you start from that side for the next few feeds it might even it out a bit?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (14-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    It could be flow and quantity. Perhaps if you start from that side for the next few feeds it might even it out a bit?
    Even if he's refusing before even trying? Memory maybe?

I'll give your suggestion a go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    It might not be you, it might be him (as in for some reason he doesn't like lying on that side)? 5 months is a bit odd though (as in BF''ing should be well established by now). Perhaps phone the ABA helpline? You don't have to be a member.

1800 686 268

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Feeding's definitely well established, have been going great guns for a while. It's only the past few days he started doing this. Combined with being distracted during feeds and not eating well during the day (so making up for it at night) he's driving me batty!

Just realized he's pulling on the ear that would be pointing down when he feeds on that side. I thought it was teeth but maybe not?

Eta: I'm currently in London so can't call ABA. I do have a bf counsellor I could contact. But maybe I should make a GP appt?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post

Eta: I'm currently in London so can't call ABA. I do have a bf counsellor I could contact. But maybe I should make a GP appt?
    Just bear in mind that GP's are not experts in BF'ing - my last GP didn't know what a vasospasm is. Is there a UK equivalent of ABA?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS often pulled his ear if he had an ear infection. Might be worth checking out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Feeding's definitely well established, have been going great guns for a while. It's only the past few days he started doing this. Combined with being distracted during feeds and not eating well during the day (so making up for it at night) he's driving me batty!

Just realized he's pulling on the ear that would be pointing down when he feeds on that side. I thought it was teeth but maybe not?

I would rule out an ear infection definitely. Has he been sick at all?

If there is no medical issue, a lactation consultant may be able to offer some suggestions. Or the ABA website?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could try football hold on that side, that way he lays the same way for both sides. Awkward with a 5mo though!

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe you could try using a football hold on the side he doesn't like, so he's lying in the position he likes? Hope he doesn't have an ear infection. If you Google, there are little massages you can do to help clear an ear infection.