Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Some info on gifting from centrelink.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...assets/gifting

2. The Following User Says Thank You to baby4us For This Useful Post:

Serenity Love  (15-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    hugs, can't imagine how hard this is but I really respect your resolve to put you and your kids and hubby first. It takes great strength to stand up to people like your inlaws. Keep your head held high xo

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lettabean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by baby4us View Post
    Absolutely think you have made the right decision.

From what I understand gifted money still counts in the centerlink asset test, so your decision to not take the money won't make a scrap of difference to their eligibility for a pension (if that's their ploy).

It sucks that your SIL may get more than your hubby, but you know what, at the end of the day, you can say you made your own way in life and what an excellent example to set for your children.
    Thanks so much for that, that's good to know.

And you're right, id much rather we get by the way we have been and do it on our own rather than rely on them. We just gotta keep telling ourselves it will happen in due time, when its right for us.

I just can't wait until they are told now so i know it's done with and we can move on from it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also just to add to what kind of man FIL is - he also had the authorities turn up on his door step recently because he is a extremely racist man and apparently would regularly go online and sprout hateful racist rubbish. Apparently he is that bad that they traced him and knocked on his door for a stern word!!!!

Its so bizarre too - MIL is Indian, so DH is half Indian. FIL has called DH many racist names all of his life, and also used to make him walk around naked and would laugh at his penis when he was only about 3 years old. DH actually remembers that! But that's a whole different thread yet again. Ugh. Why oh why are they even in our lives again dammit DH!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope it goes ok tonight when he tells them!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lettabean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    No amount of money is EVER worth your happiness, sanity and peace of mind. There are some things money can't buy. Your husband may be angry at his parents for the different treatment but at least every decision you make is YOURS and not coloured by any influence from these lunatics.

Your gut is spot on..always follow your intuition!
    Last edited by hangingupsidedown; 15-07-2014 at 19:35.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hangingupsidedown For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (15-07-2014),Serenity Love  (15-07-2014),TheGooch  (15-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So DH called them and told them - he spoke to MIL and very nicely explained to her we can't afford any loans right now and that he wants them to keep the money for their retirement so they can live comfortable. He worded it in a way that us saying no is for their benefit ...He said she sounded very disappointed, and tried to tell him they insist and tried to talk him into it, but he explained that we're just better off not signing up to anything else right now as we can't be certain we can pay it all back. That seemed to shoosh her up then. Long story short it went better than we thought ... i just hope we don't get another phone call later tonight now after MIL spoke to FIL about our decision with him roaring in the background which is what usually happens when things don't go their way.

DH told me he feels a massive weight off his shoulders now. You all really did bring a lot to light for us!!

12. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Serenity Love For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (15-07-2014),hangingupsidedown  (15-07-2014),Lennie  (15-07-2014),LoveLivesHere  (15-07-2014),MilkingMaid  (16-07-2014),mkj  (15-07-2014),Mod-Degrassi  (15-07-2014),mrswhitehouse  (15-07-2014),munchkin275  (15-07-2014),Stretched  (15-07-2014),SuperGranny  (03-09-2014),TheGooch  (15-07-2014),VicPark  (16-07-2014),Vonnie89  (15-07-2014),vue  (15-07-2014),White Mage  (16-07-2014)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Haven't read all the posts but I would borrow money off them to landscape the front and then pay it back if you can afford it once you have moved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldnt take their money! Be very careful that they cant claim they are investors in your property if thinga go sour. I would get some paperwork written up personally.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Love View Post
    So DH called them and told them - he spoke to MIL and very nicely explained to her we can't afford any loans right now and that he wants them to keep the money for their retirement so they can live comfortable. He worded it in a way that us saying no is for their benefit ...He said she sounded very disappointed, and tried to tell him they insist and tried to talk him into it, but he explained that we're just better off not signing up to anything else right now as we can't be certain we can pay it all back. That seemed to shoosh her up then. Long story short it went better than we thought ... i just hope we don't get another phone call later tonight now after MIL spoke to FIL about our decision with him roaring in the background which is what usually happens when things don't go their way.

DH told me he feels a massive weight off his shoulders now. You all really did bring a lot to light for us!!
    Good on you for standing your ground it must feel good to be a united front?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post: