+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Totally going against the grain here...

I love child free weddings. Love them. Totally love child weddings too but I really understand child free. My brother has invited DS to his wedding and I'm actually bit going to take him. My only issues with restrictions on wedding invited relate to banning breasted children. Other than that I'm with your brother.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Butterfly39  (15-07-2014),misskittyfantastico  (13-07-2014),Mum2EandR  (13-07-2014),NancyBlackett  (13-07-2014),sky1  (13-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Child free is common, we had no kids at ours and I wouldn't have it any other way.

ITs not your day, it's theirs

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mum2b87 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (13-07-2014),NancyBlackett  (13-07-2014),TheGooch  (13-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At the end if the day , kids can be a pain in the bum at events like this, particularly small children and sometimes people just don't want to be bothered. I have been invited to weddings where ds hasn't been and it hasn't bothered me.

I don't think it warrants you never speaking to them again. It's their day , it's all about them, not all about you and your kids. I hope you work it out with your brother though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (13-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Completely agree. We got married before kids and invited our families kids. We wanted our guests to be happy too. But I think weddings have become platforms for demanding people to become even more demanding sadly. I'm a bit of a modern wedding grinch lol
    Lol so am I. But then we eloped, I wanted to spend our money on a fabulous holiday instead.

The `it's my day, look at moi and only moi!' attitude reminds me of my toddler.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (13-07-2014),ExcuseMyFrench  (13-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    It's normal among my friends and family to invite kids to the ceremony but not the reception (apart from babies) it's never caused a problem. Just goes to show everybody is different! My bro and SIL had my DD as their flower girl and she wasn't invited to the reception and it was three hours away from our home. I didn't expect her to be invited and tbh at age three she would've been a PITA by 8.30pm!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd be really upset too, OP. My wedding was child free apart from my nieces, nephew and my cousins 2 children.

I made these exceptions because I couldn't imagine my big day without my nieces and nephew there. It just didn't seem right.

My cousins children where allowed, only because they travelled interstate and had no family or friends here to babysit.

While I know it's their 'big day' but I don't understand not wanting their immediate family there. And it's even worse knowing that you wouldn't be able to find babysitters for your kids because of the location. I think it's rude.
    Last edited by cheekychook; 13-07-2014 at 19:36.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cheekychook For This Useful Post:

misho  (13-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a childfree wedding as MIL told me that's what parents would want, so they could have some adult time and not have to worry about looking after kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Guilty of having my own "child free" wedding - and the last 3 weddings I have been invited to have also been child free.

Even if my DS was invited I probably wouldn't bring him as I think we would just get bored/run around etc.

I'm sorry but it's their day and they get to choose how they want to spend it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, I can completely empathise with you and I could have written a very similar post myself. My brother and his fiancé, whom I am both very close to, are getting married later this year and I was given a heads up from them before the invites went out that my DD (3) will not be invited. I will also have a 3 month old baby by then who came come if breastfed. They are having a very small wedding with immediate family and close friends only and we will be needing to travel.

Needless to say I was absolutely gutted, especially as we are immediate family. Also, the logistics of getting a babysitter for a destination wedding being a nightmare.

In the end I have come to respect that yes, this is their day and as upset, disappointed, angry etc I am in their decision, it's their wedding and I'm not prepared to ruin our relationship over it. We've ended up booking a hotel for the night and my inlaws have agreed to come a stay to babysit. My DD will come to the ceremony and have photos etc and we'll then drop her with the inlaws before the reception.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Getting disappointed with weddings is fruitless. My DH just found out his brother is getting married with just the brides family. We are only invited to an after party. Bothered? Nope not worth it. It's their wedding, their choice. We're happy for them. As much as DH would love to see his brother say I do, he knows in this instance it's not about him and is just stoked his brother is doing it his way.