+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does mixed feeding always progress to exclusively bottle feeding?

I was told by a child health nurse that mixed feeding would probably progress to exclusive bottle feeding.

I'm pretty close to giving up on breastfeeding, but I really don't want to pay so much for formula. I bought a pump to help increase supply, I'm taking medication, herb supplements and eating/drinking well but bub is still not satisfied with breastfeeding alone. He is starting to detach and relatch and show signs of frustration earlier leading me to start the bottle.

It does feel like I'll be using the bottle only in the future. Even if I express and use breast milk in the bottle.

How long were you able to mix feed for?
    Last edited by Azvanna; 13-07-2014 at 01:05.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A few hubbers have mixed fed and gone on to bf for a long while. How old is your bub?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    A few hubbers have mixed fed and gone on to bf for a long while. How old is your bub?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    6 w 4d

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 3 months I started mix feeding my dd as my supply was low and nothing seemed to help. She is almost 9 months, has bottles during the day but breast feed first thing in the morning. She was breastfeeding at night also up until a month ago.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I successfully mixed fed my first until 8 months then switched to FT formula. My 2nd to 10 months.

I know that by mixed feeding I was able to breastfeed for longer than had I not been supplementing with formula. I also appreciate that I BF, even though not exclusively, for a lot longer than many women.

With my first I did the whole pumping/herbs/cookies regimen and around 4 months finally had my supply up enough to EBF for 3 weeks. Then she had a growth spurt and I was back to formula top ups. I then saw the GP who gave me a script for 3x motilium tablets a day. It didn't result in enough milk to EBF but did help.

With DS I started on motilium 4x 2 tablets a day on day 5. After a few weeks this gave me enough milk to EBF. But I liked mixed feeding so dropped to 6 tablets a day and did one bottle feed each afternoon.

I found Dr. jack Newman's website very helpful for information with my 2nd and highly recommend you check it out. With my first I was so stressed that I'd done something horribly wrong starting formula top ups, dooming myself to never successfully breastfeed and struggled with so many feelings of failure. It took a few years for me to realise that you and you only define what success means to you. For me, with my supply issues, breastfeeding at all is a success, regardless of how much formula needs to be supplemented in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had no idea it was even an issue. We mixed fed from the start until 8 mths when I returned to work. I wanted DH to do a few feeds at day/night. Initially with EBM and then introduced formula later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it depends why you're mixed feeding and how often. From my experience, yes it does. DS had a tongue and lip tie that went undiagnosed so I had a poor supply and he a poor latch. He had both boobs every feed and a full bottle of formula afterwards. By 5 1/2 months he weaned himself. I had to force him on the breast and he would suck for maybe 30 seconds each side before he would scream for a bottle, and eventually screamed at the sight of my boobs. We started properly mixed feeding from 6 weeks (first 6 weeks it was on/off while I did everything to boost my supply).
    Last edited by callmedragon22; 13-07-2014 at 11:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's a fair point that if you have trouble with supply, then that may well be exacerbated by reduced feeding. You never know though...everyone's different. Mixed feeding is certainly not a guarantee that you'll drop breastfeeding entirely.

I didn't start as early as you, but at 3 months.

My DD was SUCH a fussy feeder, and feeding her was incredibly draining. At just over 3 months we introduced 1 formula feed a day, and kept it up until about 11 months. So 8 months of mixed feeding there.

DD's still breastfed at 21 months. Usually has 1 or 2 tiny feeds in a day; no longer has any formula.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can I ask how long this disatisfation with breastfeds has been happening? Babies go through a pretty pronounced growth/feeding spurt at around 6 weeks and it last for a few days. And it is normal to question your supply at that stage because they just feed and feed and feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not for us. I mixed fed at about 4 weeks as buba wasn't getting enough then went to full bf unless hubby was giving an ebm