+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Latching on straight away

I'm looking for personal stories of early breast feeding from mothers.

My DD took almost a week to latch on properly and about 4 /5 days for my milk to come in.

I want to try and breastfeed bubba boy due in september and my midwife says this time could be completely different from my first and he could latch on straight away and feed like a trooper, but I must say that based on my experience and other mums I know, I felt myself sitting there thinking yeah right, like that is even possible??

Was anyone lucky enough to have a bub latch on and know what to do pretty much straight away (eg. Within the first 2/3 hours) and have their milk come in fairly soon after birth?

I'm looking for reassurance that it has happened to others before and it could happen for me too.

TIA!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I consider myself very lucky as both of my bubbas latched on straight away and my milk came in the first 2/3 days. Never had any problems feeding except grazed nipples (from non stop feeding) which lansinoh helped with.

ETA: Both were born via c-section, ds had first feed in recovery and dd was back in our room about 30mins after she was born.
    Last edited by Happymum2; 12-07-2014 at 22:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD1 latched on almost straight away with no assistance whatsoever! The nurse came in while I was in recovery (about 2 hours old, if that!) and said "so I'll show how to... ohhh she's feeding already!". DD just knew what to do, I was just cuddling her and she found her way to my boob. I think my milk came in on day 3 maybe?

DD2 on the other hand... Argh. So many dramas. I had two complete opposites when it came to feeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep latched on straight away. Milk came in less than 48 hours

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    With my first two, I put them near my boob straight after they were born and they nuzzled, licked and rooted around for ages. I had trouble getting a good latch with both of them, so had grazes, cracks, bleeding etc...but milk came in on day three and we eventually got our act together and had lovely BFing relationships. My third was born via emergency c-section at 31 weeks, so very different. I hand expressed as soon as I was able though and my milk came in on day three.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub latched on very soon after birth and my milk came in quick. I'm not sure if it was luck. I did antenatal expressing and I feel that helped with my supply and my milk coming in. It also really help with my confidence in my own milk making ability.
    I also had a home birth with no pain relief. I believe that in my case this played a very big part. Many of the medications regularly given in hospital will affect your baby and his ability to feed soon after birth. The environment my bub was born into was also very conducive to early feeding. I was calm and feeling very loved and so was he.
    I think in your case just the fact that you are an experienced mummy already and that you are very motivated for things to go well will help you soooo much. Good luck. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first I know I needed help for the first latch and then continuing help including using nipple shields.

My 2nd latched on as soon as he was laid onto me in recovery. He had a posterior tongue tie, undiagnosed until 5 weeks. By about day 3 I felt his latch was wrong and did ask the MW to check for TT. When they said no I just put up with the pain, he was getting milk out, just torturing me in the process. So even despite his problem, having breastfed before I found latching a lot easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did an ABA breast feeding class where they taught us about baby led attachment. Worked pretty well for us and ds attached within a few seconds on his own. The only difficulties I had was a midwife trying to tell me how to hold ds, which really wasn't comfortable for me.

Eta: ds was taken to nicu for breathing problems so we were apart about an hour before we tried the feeding
    Last edited by Mod-Zeddie; 12-07-2014 at 23:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was born via emergency caesar. He was placed up on my chest/neck after a quick rub down and found his own way to the nipple, latched on and stayed there while I was being stitched up. He latched on to the opposite side in recovery. Milk came in day 4. My second was an elective caesar. She was apparently too big to be placed on my chest in theatre but she latched on immediately in recovery. Milk came in day 3. I have had no issues feeding them.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 was too exhausted & drugged up after a long labour & emergency c-section so wasn't interested in a feed. He latched on pretty hungrily after a sleep. Milk came in on day 4 I think?

DS2 latched straight on in recovery and fed like a champion from therein.